Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new Musicman Sterling

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Figjam, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I bought a Musicman Sterling a week and a half ago from TB member Transverz. Ive been biting my nails since that moment, waiting for it to arrive. Id never played a Sterling before, only a Stingray. I knew the differences between the two, and figured id be better off with a Sterling. I was right. The bass arrived a few hours and until a few minutes ago ive been letting it warm up before tuning it up. I finally tuned it up, plugged it in, and played it. The bass is set up great. I believe he had it set up by a pro before he sent it. It has nice low action and the neck is straight. The neck is super comfy and it has a nice birdseye to it. The satin finish or w/e they call it is great.

Soundwise, this bass is quite versatile. I like the switch in the position where it points towards the neck, i cant remember if this is in series or parallel. (someone tell me?). You can get a smooth tone or a growly tone that MM is famous for. I prefer a bassy, punchy mid heavy tone. This bass does that great. Someone who has a Sterling, help me describe it? Great bass, easiest to play out of every bass ive played.

Here are some pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Figgeh happy :hyper: Whats up guys? lemme know watcha think!

2. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    Nice! :)

Gotta love em. I have a thing for MM basses, and that's definetly a nice one. Am I seeing things, or is the pickup set real low on the low E side? If so, how does it sound like this?

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    CONGRATS FIGGEH! Whafro-Bros for teh lifez0rz!

4. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    That's a sharp looking sterling!

5. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think it's just an optional illusion cuz the bass is angled down a bit. I took horrible pictures... *embarassed*

AND THEY STILL HAVE MY FINGERPRINTS ON IT! ACK! :bag:

No doubt newer and better pictures will be taken and shown.

Here are the switch positions (from neck to bridge):

-both coils, series
    -single coil
    -both coils, parallel

I agree, I liked the top position the best (well, I'm not surprised ;) ...hey! stop that.)

The other ones have some serious growl on it but you lose a bit on the low end, or at least that's what I experienced. The most output seemed to be in that 1st switch position.

Congrats dude, it's a killer bass... I should know! :D

-T

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yeah the pickup is flat across, i thoguht the same thing when i saw the pic. Optical allusions,, woot.

Ill take new pics eventually. My camera isnt that good so they might not be great.

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Sweet!

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I love the black/black but if i were to get a new pickguard, what color? Theres so many different mirrored colors... also i like Tortoishell, but should i just stick with black/black?

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I was just thinking about that - I'd try Abalone first, then Black Pearl or White Pearl. Too bad Abalone isn't on the build-a-bass site.

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I wish the site had more options. Im not really interested in any that are on there. Mainly i was curious about the mirrored ones and tortoishell. Black pearloid looks good but since i already have black i dont see spending $50 just to change it a little.

11. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I actually have the exact same bass but with a black pearloid pickguard and it is WAY gorgeous. I highly recommend going this route.

12. StingRay5guy

StingRay5guy Guest

Oct 14, 2004
    Congrats on the MM. I love my Sting Ray 5 and I was considering getting a Sterling but i'm just going to save my money and buy a Bongo 5. The bad thing is though, Burger King doesn't pay that great... :( . Oh well. Should have it in about 2 months though. Well, keep rocking on the Sterling. By the way, I would just keep it the way it is. Looks best like that.

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thanks. Good luck with the bongo. I went with a sterling over a bongo because i prefer the way it looks 1000x over, heh.

14. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Never doubt the power of white MOTO on black.
    (or in this case, on black sparkle)

[​IMG]

And congrats!

15. Congrats there, Figjam.

You are now a member of the Ernie Ball society. :cool:

If you're going to change the pickguard, I'd go with either tort, or black pearloid.

Good luck with her.

Mike ;)

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thankie :) And yeah i guess those are the 2 pickguard colors i like.... now that i think of it.

Ill just keep the black on until i definitely decide which i like.

17. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Nice Catch!
    Hey, Vincent! Show Fig and the others the one you replaced yours with! Here is a picture of my Sterling. It's kind of beat up, but the neck is to die for!

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Dont laugh. Ok, laugh, its just msPaint. BUT, i think the bass would look nice with a tort pg.
    [​IMG]
    Although in person i love the look of black/black.

Sigh. Oh well i wont think about it for a while since i cant even afford to buy a new pg at the moment.

19. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Congratulations, and welcome home to Musicman. :)

My Sterling has served me well for years, but... well, you know the rest of my story. It may now be headed for the "for sale" bin as it's younger (uglier to some) sister has won my heart.

Gotta admit though that the Sterling is still the most comfortable bass I've ever played. It just feels so right. I too preferred the switch in the neck position, but in the past year started keeping it towards the right. It takes a little of the edge off. I think I started doing that when I started doing covers - just seemed to fit better. I still think the middle position is useless. Never used it, probably never will.

I like the black on black - but our tastes obviously differ so ya might wanna get a new pickguard. :) Caution: mirrored pickguards (IMO) are the most annoying things in the world to an audience. A couple of spots aimed at your midsection will upstage anything else that's happening on the stage. I think they should be illegal.

Good luck. Have fun and enjoy that new bass high. I'm still high and it's almost 2 weeks now.

20. use it well...and if you don't send it to me