Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new N.Y.C. pedal board

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I used to be able to make things out of wood; tables, shelves, bookcases, and even chairs. -That ability seems to be gone. I tried to build a pedal board two times, and each time was a stunning disappointment. I looked around for a while and finally found Mike Ruskin's site: http://www.nycpedalboards.com I got the standard 36, with the 2nd level, the butterfly latches and the deluxe wah platform. In a nutshell, this is most well thought out, superlatively constructed pedal board I've ever seen! Anyone looking at buying a pedal board should check these out. Also Mike Ruskin is a bassist, so you'd be supporting one of the good guys!

[​IMG]

2. OMG that looks sweet!

I've been meaning to make my own pedal board for a while, nothing more annoying than having to set up all my pedals at the start of a gig or practise.

3. how much did that cost bliss?

4. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I got a lot of options, and a huge board, so about 200. You can get one much cheaper if you use less effects (smaller board), get less options. You can also add things like the wah riser (puts the input jack over the height of the board edge) and the second level later, as they velcro on.

5. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001

Exactly, I found myself skipping things, saying "
    I only use it once, etc." then really wanting the effect during the set. No problems now. I am powering the entire thing with a Visual Sound one spot.

6. sweet, i've got GAS now... thanks alot bliss..

7. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    No Problem! :D

8. I HATE YOU NOW!!

Well, actually I don't, but I am so much suffering from GAS now.

What are they? Especially the second level, I've never heard of that before.

9. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    The wah pedal riser lifts the wah up a little so that 1) it stays still 2) the input jack is above the lip of the casem, so it's can go on the end. The second level raises the back row of pedals so they are easier to step on. I also hide the plug under it.

Go to this page to see one without all the stuff on it. http://www.nycpedalboards.com/secondlevel.html

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Jesus, Bliss ... got enough pedals? Pretty soon you're gonna need a pedal board annex.

11. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep, I like to turn them all on at once and go hang out at the bar when I play shows. :D My pedal board did come with the ability to declare eminent domain.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    [headline]

NIGHTCLUB STAGE EATEN BY RAMPAGING BASS PEDALBOARD!

[/headline]

13. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Hey Bliss, didn't any one tell you your pedals are supposed to be all over the stage? Tha's too neat. :D

14. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Yeah, but when it takes the bassist longer to set up than the drummer, there's a problem. I also have to set up a theremin, and one of those alesis air synth things. -Add that to my general slowness and you can see why I need this pedalboard!

15. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    That pedalboard's OK, but I like mine much better...
    [​IMG]

Just kidding. That's Doug Wimbish's pedal rig. Your's kick's a$$, Blisshead.

16. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Whew... most of the time we don't have that much room on stage for the whole band... :p

17. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I shall not rest until my pedalboard is bigger than Doug's. While I'm doing that, he'll be playing bass. ;)

18. Where'd you get that picture?

19. http://www.austintx.net/dexter/ngm/pedalboards.html
    I went with NGM for some reason, I don't remember...they do custom sizing, pack 'em in an anvil style case and also offer up the second-level option. I will be replacing my P&C with my new Dredgetone Bass Angler which is brilliant and trying to work in my new Digitech bass synth wah.

[​IMG]

20. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I looked at boards like that, but I wanted the board to be the case as well. FWIW, NYC pedalboards does custom work as well. Do you have any samples of the Dredgetone?