Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my new navigator preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Peccavi, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Peccavi

Peccavi

Dec 24, 2003
    Jonas, pa
    ok i just got my navigator about 2 hours ago and i've been playing with it and i am just wondering what those of you that own this preamp set your eq at? i slap so i want it to sound good that way and punchy as well. also what rack units do you pair with this that you think brings it to where you like it most?

i have a few days before i have practice so i really want to run through all of my possibilities. thank you!!

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I usually set mine about flat.

I might very slightly boost the bass, and kick up the mids around 300 hz and again around 1.5KHz.

Peace
    Nick

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Set all of the tone controls straight up, then tweak no more than "one hour"s worth in any direction to compensate for the flavor of your cabinet(s). The Nav's EQ section is incredibly powerful. It is voiced to sound best set "flat", though everything set "flat" assuredly isn't "flat" in the technical sense. I keep my pre-gain at around 10 o'clock, my post gain at around 11:00 o'clock, and then use the power amp to control volume. Enhance is around 9:00 o'clock at the most, depending on the room.

What a great preamp . .

4. Like mentioned above, start with it "flat" and tweak from there. I've had mine for a few years now, and I'm still constantly tweaking for the right tone at different enviroments.

Also, depending on what kind of bass you are running, will require different settings. When I play my musicman, if I boost the bass on the guitar, then the semi parametric is rendered totally useless.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I also keep my EQ set about flat, with the Enhance knob at about 3 o'clock and the tube character knob around noon. I really like the sound set flat with my PLX 3002 and EA & Accugroove cabs, but certainly that EQ section will let you tailer your tone to work with whatever cabs you have. I use the EQ mostly for correcting room/stage anomalies and for feedback control on my upright.

Tom.

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    3 o'clock, or 3?

Damn dude, 3 O'clock on that is anything but flat, thats like sucking out all the mids and doing a major boost of bass and trebble.

Whatever works for you I guess.

Peace
    Nick

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yes, 3 o'clock, and yes, it is anything but flat.

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Oh, whatever works for you. I was jsuta bit confused since you said you had your EQ set about flat.

Peace
    Nick

9. Scooped mids = sexy funk WOOP!!!! :eek: :eek:

10. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Eric's right, the EQ is very powerfull. I suggest you do a quick check of the EQ knob indexing.

Turn all five EQ knobs and three Parametic knobs all the way to the left. All the little white indicator marks should be at the same angle.

Now turn just one knob all the way to the right. the indicator mark should be as close to opposite from the other knobs as possible.

If you have to make any adjustments be very careful pulling the knobs off and even more carefull pushing them back on as these pots are part of a printed wireing board.

Now, how about all those lights?

11. Peccavi

Peccavi

Dec 24, 2003
    Jonas, pa
    thanks alot guys i am trying it out at practice tomorrow so i can really see what it can do. unfortunately my preamp isn't in yet so i am running it through my pre amp in on my trace elliot head.

i always regreted not having one of those trace elliot heads that lighted up but his preamp stands out indeed. overall so far this preamp owns.

12. Peccavi

Peccavi

Dec 24, 2003
    Jonas, pa
    sorry i meant my power amp isn't in yet for those who might of got confused. trust me i am better at bass then typing.

13. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    awesome..because that makes one of us! ;)