Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new neck-through Modulus - with a surprise......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BruceWane, Oct 7, 2004.

1. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Since my fretted bass needs are pretty well covered, I've been saving a little while for a fretless.

But then a Modulus Quantum 6 TBX (neck-through, pretty rare) shows up on e-bay.........I wanted one of these really bad way back when they were still making them, but I was pretty tight for money back then. So I figure as long as I don't pay too much for it, I'll snag it and try it out, then of the basses on hand I'll sell whichever one I can live without to fund a fretless. Right?

Well, the ad said that the seller was selling it for a friend; and you could definitely tell that the description was not written by a bassist. It was listed as having "Bartolini pickups - 2 EMG DC45", so obviously a detail or two was a little off. But the pictures were good enough to tell that it was in very good shape, so I went for it.

It arrived today. got home from work, and @#$@%$#@ UPS had actually left it on my front porch, so anybody could've walked away with it. And it was raining most of the day; good thing my porch is well covered.

Anyway, I pull it out of the box, open the case.......wow.....this thing is nearly perfect......looking over the body, just a few tiny scratches here and there, very, very minor.....back of the neck is perfect......then.....

Wait a dang minute.

Shake head.

Rub eyes.

Oh my.....it's ain't got no frets!!! Lined fretless!!!

Not mentioned in the ad at all, so I'd just assumed it was fretted. Looking back at the pictures posted on e-bay, you can tell if you're really looking for it, but without knowing that it's lined fretless, it's hard to tell.

Today was a very good day.

Ad said that it still had the original strings on it, and that appears to be true......they are dead as can be. Ad also said it would come with a new set of strings, which it did - too bad it's a 4 string set! It plays perfect, the neck's got just a hair of relief, just right, but I'll need a new set of strings to really see how she sounds......but even with dead strings, it's sounds pretty sweet.

Here's some quick pics......

2. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    One more pic.........

The top is cocobola.

3. Congrats !

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Very nice! Gotta love those Bart EMG DC45s.:D

Nice to see it turn out to be a 'happy accident'.

5. Sweet! I saw that one come up on Ebay, and was definately lusting more than a little. The neck-through Moduluses I've played had something special that the bolt-ons didn't, and that cocobola is beautiful, too.

Mike

6. Dang! I've never seen anything like that before!

What sorta glue would you use to make one of those? :confused:

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That is sweet!! I would love to hear how that thing sounds...