1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My new neighbors

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Apr 10, 2006.

1. So I moved into my new place this weekend. It's in a peaceful, mostly single-family-home part of western Los Angeles (the Mar Vista neighborhood). The neighbors are friendly and there are many cool little neighborhood restaurants and shops within a three-block walk.

One of the commercial establishments on Venice Boulevard, the area's main thoroughfare, is called "Roman Holiday." When I first saw it, it struck me as being somewhat odd: the fa├žade had no windows, and the door was a heavy steel kind with just a small window at eye level. "Suspicious," I thought. So I Googled it, and sure enough, I was right:

I live a block and a half from a gay bathhouse.

:eek: :confused: :D

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    So, you're going, right?

3. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

is that a major problem ?

... don't hang around the place , they won't bother you ...

live and let live . :D

peace,
    david

4. No, but the next time I go to a neighborhood council meeting and our City Council rep (who is an openly gay man in his 50s) appears, I'm going to ask him: "Councilman Rosendahl, have you recently been on a Roman holiday?" :smug:

5. Oh hell no! I just think it's hilarious--and I'm surprised that health authorities even still allow the places to exist, what with the whole AIDS thing. I was under the impression that virtually all of them got shut down in the late '80s; I guess this one managed to stay open.

6. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Now you know where to go in case your bathroom ever malfunctions.

7. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Actually, it could be a lot worse. At least gay cats are usually kinda low profile (at least here on the East Coast). It could be an adult film joint, which can get very seedy characters dropping by (again, at least here on the East Coast) ...... :rollno:

My wife and I are friends with several gay dudes .... they have a sense of style and are pretty professional people. It was just a little freaky to see them holding hands and stuff at first, but now it's cool ..... :cool:

Yeah, it could be worse, a lot worse as a matter of fact ......

8. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    At least the little window on the door isn't at waist level.

:bag:

9. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Tacit homophobia, like, totally rules!

10. FWIW, I would treat a brothel just about the same way. Honestly, bathhouses are functionally equivalent to brothels: you go in, you pay a fee for services, you receive sexual favors. The relationship of client and provider may be somewhat different (oh, how I love using bureaucratic euphemisms), but the end result is the same.

You know, now that I think about it, I probably lived within three blocks of half a dozen "massage parlors" when I lived in Koreatown. Nothing untoward going on there, no sir! :rolleyes:

11. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Yeah, I left my PC rulebook at home today. Sorry if I disrupted your delicate sensibilities. :eek:

12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Peter, hate to break this to you, but you moved into the neighborhood. The new neighbor is you.;)

Sit tight. Someone will try to earn a toaster oven from you sooner or later...

...not that there's anything wrong with that. :D

13. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Hey - its not me expressing bigoted views.

14. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Do they have humor where you live?

I mean, the joke is that there would be a lot of men, quite possibly nude in there. Who would want to look at waist level all the time? Could be scary. Genitalia (either one) is pretty ugly, really.

15. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    +1

16. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN

Inhale. Exhale. Feel better? It was just a joke. Would you have been so offended if I had made a joke about a straight sex club? Personally, I'm an equal opportunity jokester. I'll try to make a joke about straight people by the end of the day. Will that make you feel better? Actually, that joke could have been about a straight club, since the window could be in the same place. It's sad that you're not open-minded enough to see the equality of that joke. :bawl: One day, people like you will learn not to see color or sexual orientation in joke-telling. I look forward to your enlightenment.

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I thought you were going to tell us it was a mob hangout.

I don't think we'll be finding Tony Soprano hangin' there any time soon.

You could maybe catch Bette Midler the next time she comes through though.

bc

18. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    i live in atlanta, actually the new city of sandy springs and i'm a straight 36 year old male. having said that, we just became a city after a 30 year fight trying to get out from under the control of fulton county who was raping us with our own tax dollars. we now will keep 76 million dollors a year in sandy springs. the first thing we are trying to do is rid the area of the adult stores and brothels. the fulton county police squad that was assigned to us have all been indicted on felony bribery charges for turning the other way when the illeagal activities went on. they estimate that several million dollars were poaid to fulton officiaals to approve zoning for these palces and then look the other way. they do have proof of this. i dont care one way or the other that these places exist but i just dont want them in my backyard.

19. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Talk to your city council about setting up a sting. They should have volunteers lining up out the door to do months, if not years, of undercover work. ;)

See, I made a joke about straight clubs, too. Ahhhh.....equality. :hyper:

20. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    You mean they don't take baths at bath-houses and massage parlors aren't giving massages?!?!

Gee, what they're doing is illegal.