Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My New NEW FMT !!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pd_5string, Jul 1, 2002.

1. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Well, FINALLY got this baby after wrestling it out of Musician's Friend's hands (took them 3 days to ship it after I placed my order).

This bass is perfect except:

The bass (a 4-string) actually came strung with a B string instead of an E string!!

So, the poor thing was sitting in the case, in all the heat with the B string warping the hell out of the neck.

I promptly took it off, and restrung it with an E, and straightened the neck, intonated it, and I think this one is gonna be a keeper, but I mean come ON Fender WAKE UP!!!! Shipping out a 4-string bass with a B string in place of an E??????

Pix:

http://www.peterduncan.net/FMT_Tobacco_Closeup.jpg

http://www.peterduncan.net/FMT_Tobacco_Full.jpg

-pd

2. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I didn't follow the whole story Peter, is it a new one?
    or is it the same one that you had redone?

3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I digs it :D

4. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    The other new one is at the luthier's getting a new fret job. This one is very nice...frets properly dressed (no flat frets) etc.

-pd

5. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Excuse me for asking, but why do you need/want two of them?

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, i wouldn't worry about the b string warping your neck...in most cases, d strings have about 75% more tension than b strings...ain't that odd? here's a chart that shows string tension when tuned to pitch for a seat of d'addario slowounds in common guages. you may not find that large a gap in all strings, but i seriously doubt that you'll find a set of strings where the b string has more tension than _any_ of the other strings...watch that d string, man! just thought i'd share the knowledge...

slowound tension chart

7. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    ~nt

8. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    What happens when the B is tuned up to an E?

-pd

9. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    oh goodness...i have no clue, not knowing what guage of string it is...can't be good, though. i doubt it would cause permanent damage, but that's still pretty nuts.

10. So, does this mean everyone should post pics of their "Figured Maple Tops"??!!

:D

Just kiddin'! Nice bass, Peter!

Jeff

11. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Congrats...gorgeous bass!:)

Alex

12. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    This may sound like a stupid question, but why did you buy a Fender? I mean, you take every opportunity you can to bash 'em, then you look for one for a while, complaining that they're anything but consistent, then you experience these little "headaches"...yet, you still went out and bought two.

Maybe it's just me, but this is totally confusing...:confused:

13. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    As I said a million times before, I never slighted Fender for their tone. It totally rules.

The FMT's are the closest thing to the quality I am used to with Zons. So, I decided to bite the bullet and get two, and MAKE them (with the help of a luthier) into great basses.

So, I thought it would be fin to share with the group here the issues I had with purchasing three of Fender's best.

Bass 1: Truss rod maxed, high frets buzzing too much. Returned

Bass 2: High Fret, taken in for a re-fret since it had flat frets (and I sanded it down too much).

Bass 3: Had B string instead of E string, but otherwise checks out.

Still you would think that spending 1500 for a bass from Fender they would get their **** together. Too bad.

-pd

14. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    LOL!!

-pd

15. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    If you got the bass form Musician's Friend, the bass was probably sold & the "E" string was replaced w/a "B" beofre it was returned. Then, as they normally do, MF dosen't check anything & thay just re sell it.

Good luck w/it.

16. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Nope.

The bass came from Fender factory packed.

-Plastic protective bag still on case
    -Plastic still on latches
    -Plastic still on back control plates
    -Tape still on pickups to protect the "noiseless" logo
    -Box stapled ONCE on top where you open it
    -All strings equally new (including the B).
    -Tags still on instrument headstock

MF doesn't open them up as they come from Fender. (Sweetwater, on the otherhand, does, and they will check the bass out before they ship it. Sweetwater beats MF in customer service, and overall experience hands down).

-pd

17. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY

18. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    we had that argument often Peter.
    But if you want a great jazz bass, with perfect craftmanship, you should buy a Sadowsky. You don't live that far away, you can try them, nothing to loose!!
    you could even meet Nino!!

19. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Very pretty bass. I like the shiny gold hardware, especially the knobs and tuners. Cool! :)

20. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    If they (Sadowsky) lowered the price by about a thousand dollars...

I also don't consider a Sadowsky a Jazz bass, but a Jazz bass clone. I want the real deal. Unfortunately, I have to deal with some QC issues, so I buy a Fender and take it in for a setup, and save a thousad (or more) dollars, and play the real thing.

-pd