1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My new New Standard Cleveland Ply!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by WarEagle, Jul 23, 2012.

1. WarEagle

WarEagle Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Cullman, AL.
    Just came in today, and couldn't wait to show it off. I know there has been a lot said about theses basses on here, I think I've read every post before ordering mine, but they are all that everyone has posted.
    One good thing for me is, I have a '39 American Standard to do a little comparing to. Although my old Standard is set up nice, and sounds great, the New Standard is really smooth and easy to play with awesome tone and volume too.
    Anyway, here are some pics. Thanks. 085.JPG 084.JPG

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I really like the "sister act" photo. You can see how alike the two basses are in shape, but also how the newer bass has a shorter string length and seems more mitt-friendly in general. As a previous owner of an original American Standard and current owner of two LaScala NS models, I suspect the overstand on the newer one is a bit more friendly as well. Congrats and enjoy!

3. The missing piece in my little collection. Enjoy.

4. davpal

davpal

May 19, 2006
    Lambertville, NJ
    Wow! What a pair!
    Is there a big difference in the string length?

5. WarEagle

Dec 15, 2011
    Cullman, AL.
    Yeah, I can already tell the difference in the string length, a little easier. Especially in the ole B flat. From the nut to the bridge is about an inch difference.

6. Herbie 80's

Herbie 80's

Dec 15, 2008
    Is it bad that I couldn't tell which one was new?

7. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    Beautiful

8. I've been lusting for a New Standard for a while now, and this is NOT helping me cope!

9. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    Congrats!

10. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 17, 2006
    UK
    Founder - Discover Double Bass
    I'm used to a 41.5" scale length. Do Cleveland users find 42" a bit of a stretch?

11. tomshepp

tomshepp

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    Congrats! What strings did you get?:bassist:

Spiros?

12. WarEagle

Dec 15, 2011
    Cullman, AL.
    Yeah, spiros are you on the New Standard. I had Zyex strings on the '39, but when I got the new bass, I decided to put guts back on it, it just seems right, that way. The old bass really sounds good with them on it.

13. tomshepp

tomshepp

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    You keepin' the AS?

If I could find a buyer for my 39' Kay, I'd try to get a Cleve to replace it. Just sayin' ;)

14. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Hey, congrats! I've been playing my plywood Cleveland for a long while now and find she's amazingly comfortable under my hand. The 42" is no issue for me but I'm six feet tall. It came with Spiros on, and I switched off to Obligatos for a long time, then to Lenzer guts, then for a long, happy time with Innovation Ultra Blacks. My Full Circle pickup recently failed and while I took the bridge off I went back to Spiro Weichs and have to say I'm enjoying them with new ears. It's jazz and blues playing mostly and I'm thinking that the Weichs aren't really going to suit the blues much. Everyone loves the big, warm sound of the Cleveland and the look as well. I'm sure you're going to be very happy together!

15. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    +1

Good looking basses Rus!

16. WarEagle

Dec 15, 2011
    Cullman, AL.
    Thanks everyone for the nice words. Hey Eric, I think we have talked a time or two on the the phone...haha. It is really nice when you buy an awesome bass from good folks, as we would say down here in Alabama. It was a pleasure dealing with Wil and some of the folks from Upton Bass, very professional.
    Anyway, about the AS, I actually have it for sale. But I don't know if I can right now. It kind of cool having an old and new one. The old ones are kind of hard to come by, especially when you don't have to do anything to it.

17. Good to see your Cleveland finally arrived. Like I told you over the phone, you'll never regret buying it. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed mine.

18. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Congrats!

I'm coming up on 8 years with mine. It has saw me go from high school jazz band all the way through my current gig. I haven't had to do much of anything to it. It has survived Chicago winters without issue-including riding on the subway to gigs.

19. Kenshiro

Kenshiro

Aug 6, 2012
    So this is why you are selling the 39'. I don't blame you man!

20. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    WANT