My new Noll preamp just arrived!but...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Le Basseur, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    ...when I opened the electronics'cavity on my Warwick Streamer's back,I realized that...well..."Houston,we have a problem!"
    I have the original MEC PU's (a PB at the neck and a JP at the bridge) and I intend to keep them on my bass since they're fair enough (it happens to like them alot when I play with the MEC's preamp in the passive mode-pulled volume it is).
    However,I noticed that the MEC PU's have each a coax signal wire (lead+dress) going to the blend pot AND a third red wire wich is conected to the + side of the battery.What's the meaning of this 3rd wire?
    On the Noll config (wich is an entirely different story:3-band with parametric mids),I don't see a possible contact place on the blend pot for the 3rd red wire(s) coming from PU's.
    Any suggestions on how can I wire the new preamp?
    Le Basseur

I'll write an email to the factory too but since today is Friday,I don't expect an answer too soon from them and I thought I'd could use this weekend for the preamp's replacement.
    Also,I read something wich could be tied on my theme on the following thread:
    ,so I call for Z-Bass.Maybe you had the same issue with your replacement?!?
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The third wire is the power for the active pickups. Connect them in with the +ve battery wire.
  3. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Man,you're fast! :D
    What you said means that the MEC PU's are similar with some of,say,EMG's or Bart's?...regarding the wiring,of course! ;)