Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new Nordstrand bass--WAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jacochops, Jan 24, 2002.

1. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Hot Damn!!!! I just got my new Nordstrand bass back out of the shop after changing the pickups, and LOOKOUT!! This thing KILLS!!!! I wish I knew how to post a link or a picture, but you've GOT to check this bass out! He's at nordstransguitars.com; my bass is the 4 string cherryburst! I just commisioned him to build me a single cutaway fretless 4....featherweight alder body, an Englemann spruce (!) top, pink ivorywood lined fretless board, burled maple back plate, hipshot hardwear, the new John Suhr 3 band preamp with passive tone rolloff, Bartolini 9W4Js, etc. The whole enchilada is only 1800!!! This is the guy who's been doing the fretwork for John Suhr's guitars, as well as the fretwork on GR Basses...Bass Player quoted it as being some of the finest fretwork they'd seen. Any way, Carey's building an incredible bass, and the playability and feel of his instruments is honestly better than any custom bass that I've played. Check out his site...I know a lot of you have basses by D Lewis, Karl Hoyt, Matt Schmill, Bill Conklin, Rob Elrick, etc....there's nothing like having the attention to detail and CS of a small luthier who's willing to work with what YOU want! What are your experiences with these guys? I hear NOTHING but GREAT stuff about them!! Post your experiences with luthiers like them!!!!

2. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Whoops...that's nordstrandguitars. com
    (Idiot key turned off...):eek:

3. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    Hello,
    I just want to say that I didn't solicit this posting in any way. I'm glad that jacochops likes his bass, and I thought I'd post a pic of it to get some reactions. Opinions anyone? I'm just getting started making my own basses, and I welcome any input.
    Anyway, his kind of reaction is one of the main reasons I do what I do. I hope this isn't advertising, and I hope I'm not violating any forum rules. I just thought I should say something.
    Carey Nordstrand

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I like it. i think it looks nice. how does it sound?

5. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I really like it.You should do one in all quilt,that would look really nice.I LOVE that color in the picture.But what kind of basses do they sound similiar to?

6. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    This one sounds like a jazz bass on steroids. It is quite versatile with the 3 band preamp and active/passive setup. One could get almost any sound out of it from a Jaco type growly punch to a big 60's P bass tone. And with both pickups on it has a great slap tone. Pretty much whatever you want!

Carey