My New Nordy VJ5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bernie Connors, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Well, I picked up my Nordy VJ5 from Scott Pazera on Saturday. It's an incredible bass in every respect. I've been thrilled since the first time I played it. I plugged it into the Eden and Epifani and it brought a smile to my face. It's really an awesome instrument.

This is a prototype for the Nordy line. That's cool with me though. I don't have anything on the bass that I would change anyways. The fit and finish is really spectacular. You can tell that Carey worked on this bass with his meticulous attention to detail.

I threw around the idea of putting an Audere into this preamp, but the passive tone is so great, I don't see a need to.

The specs are like this:

34.5" Scale
    Alder Body
    Rosewood Board
    NJ5F Pickups
    Volume/Volume/Tone Control Layout
    Two Tone Burst
    B/W/B Pickguard
    Small Fretwire

For anyone who is considering a Nordy, I can say that you won't be dissapointed in the least.

I only have one pic from Scott at the moment. I'll post more as I'm able to take them.

NordyVJ5_1.gif

2. Congrats Berni!

I put some of his pickups in a Jazz bass. If his basses play anything like his pickups sound, I'm sure you're a happy guy!

3. Thanks, man. I really am happy with it. It's a great player.

4. I saw that bass at Scott's shop on Friday.. Actually, I think I've played it before the first time I was in the shop (I may be mistaken though)..

Any way, those Nordy VJ's are nice.. I have a hard time going in there and not leaving with one.

Congrats!

5. Cool! Scott's played it so it has some mojo on it already!

6. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Oh hell yeah! Sweet axe man!

7. Thanks, bro! I've thought about a tort or black guard. Time will tell. It has the '57 vibe going on now though.

8. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I personally dig the tort!

9. Me too. I love the burst/tort combo. It's hard to beat that!

10. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Price check if you don't mind sharing?

11. This was a prototype model so the price I paid isn't really in relation to what a Nordy would cost that has been ordered new.

Carey has a price sheet listed on his website. You can get an idea of what you want and contact any of the Nordy dealers listed on the site to get an accurate price.

12. ustabawannab

ustabawannab Caesar's palace, morning glory, silly human race. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Greenfield, WI.
  13. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Looks really good!!

14. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Wow!!
    Purdy!!

15. Thanks, fellas! I'm quite enamored with it right now.

16. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Good stuff Bernie!

17. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Very nice indeed, congrats.

I don't play a 5er myself, but if I was after one it would definitely be along those lines. I'm a big fan of Carey's pickups (have them in 2 of my Jazz basses), I'd love to try one of his instruments.

Hope you carry on getting a lot of pleasure out of it. :)

18. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I too played that bass at Scott's shop. If i would have had the money in my checking account-i would own it. I got a feeling that Scott is going to be getting a good chunk of my money when it comes to electric basses-last time i was there he mentioned something about MTD Zephyrs that made me smile.

Congrats on the bass. That thing is killer.

19. Thanks alot everyone for the kind words. It's a real pleasure to play an instrument of this quality. It just makes things easier.

20. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Congrats Bernie...I know that you have been wanting a Nordstrand for quite a while. :)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021