My new NOS lefty 1975 Precision bass -- and what is this (transitional?) lefty case?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Foundtreasure, May 3, 2021.

1. Foundtreasure

Foundtreasure

May 3, 2021
    Hello TalkBass peeps, been trolling your forums for years and am happy to finally join!

I recently picked up an absolutely immaculate 1975 lefty Precision Bass locally...I bought it from its original owner who used it '5 times', and gave up and put it away for 45 years. It is truly a closet queen in every sense of the word. Hasn't been set up...ever...and plays perfectly. Extremely minimal wear, glorious brand new sheen, original paperwork and case. It's so nice in fact, I'm afraid to use it at all for fear it is very collectible! Especially being a lefty. Not a bad fear to have :)

I have two questions:
    One is just general input -- do I keep this? Do I baby it and hold onto it? Do I pass it on to the greatest lefty collector in the world?
    And two... have you ever seen a case like this? I know vintage lefty cases are pretty rare, but the little orange flap that seems to be stock with the case towards the bottom....I can't find anything like it anywhere!!

Not at all bummed to have such a pristine example of a vintage P bass...but jeez I don't even feel comfortable touching it, and the case is basically brand new too! What would you do?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  2. Foundtreasure

Foundtreasure

May 3, 2021
    I should probably add, all parts are there except the bridge plate screws. The guy said it has never been opened up in its life, of course no parts swapped...he claimed he hadn't tuned the bass since the early 90s and it was still perfectly in tune!

So inclined to keep this, but if it belongs in a museum maybe I should reconsider ! Hmm

3. First of all, welcome to Talkbass!

By 1975, Fender P basses were mass produced products, meaning there are hundreds of thousands of them out there. This doesn’t make them as collectable as a 50’s or 60’s bass. Since Fender switched to poly finishes in 1969, they aren’t fragile instruments, they were built to be played. Since you love how it plays and sounds, I say play the crap out of it! With as little wear on it, every ding and scratch you put on it will reflect your musical journey and career, which is freakin cool!

I wouldn’t give it to a museum, Leo designed his instruments to be played, not sit in a display case untouched. But hey, that’s my opinion.

4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Finishes were generally pretty thick/durable at this point. I feel like you could play it regularly and still keep in great shape long enough to determine if it’s a keeper or not.

DJ Bebop, Cheez and Foundtreasure like this.
  5. David McIntire

David McIntire

Apr 5, 2020
    Earth
    Surprises me this is a question. Play it. Happily, heartily, and often.

6. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Just play it for Pete's sake.

7. 7dollarbologna

7dollarbologna

Apr 22, 2014
    Downtown Albuquerque
    Desert Eccentric
    How does it play?

DJ Bebop and Foundtreasure like this.
  8. Foundtreasure

Foundtreasure

May 3, 2021
    Thanks for your responses!! Hahaa so far it's relieving to know the general consensus seems to be to shred it...

It is without a doubt one of the most comfortable (if not the most comfortable) lefty's I have ever played. It is bizarre because it really feels brand new, like it could have been made last week. Good to know about the finish being super durable. I have some very sweet gear, but I'm not used to my old school gear being literally brand new...guess maybe I'll have to get used to having nice things one day !! :bassist:

Williethump likes this.
  9. dalkowski

dalkowski It's "rout," not "route." Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    No "Precision Bass" on the headstock -- is that a lefty thing?

Ya done good - play it, rock it, love it!

10. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    yes , the righty decal doesn’t fit a lefty headstock

pbass74, dkelley, DJ Bebop and 4 others like this.
  11. Beautiful bass!
    There’s a picture of my 1974 Strat in the original case. The case has the same material surrounding the bottom of the guitar body, I believe to keep it stable in the case and minimize damage from movement while in the case. 4E2DA783-3E13-41E9-923D-382944B2E3D2.jpeg

12. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    ws57bphunuzjxq87tbxui4kfrgmfxyfq.jpg
    Original 75 righty case.

Yours looks correct down to the stitching on the handle.

Kubicki Fan, Tommy V, dkelley and 5 others like this.
  13. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Love your lefty '75 P! WOW!

You've probably heard the expression..........."everything's for sell if the price is right". And that would be up to you.

Nice bass! Unless if I could a super excellent price for it.........keep it! Enjoy it!

upload_2021-5-3_8-32-56.jpeg

Foundtreasure likes this.
  14. You need to play it. It needs you to play it. It's waited so long, languishing and dreaming. You must play it.

M0ses, Clark W, Pdaddy1978 and 6 others like this.
  15. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Play it. As an owner of a closet 73 I can tell you it’s grown in value almost $20 every year I’ve owned it since 1986. Basses are horrible investments. Play it or sell it.

Beautiful bass and you’re lucky to have found it in such lovey condition. Play it. Rock it. It is a tool meant to be used.

16. Williethump

Williethump

Sep 10, 2017
    2020-08-03 11.25.55.jpg It looks exactly like my 2014 MIJ super light blonde vintage except for the thumb rest and ashtrays. Is yours also lightweight ash? That is museum age and quality but I say keep it forever and play it carefully. Pass it on to your kids. Mine sounds and plays super but since it's so nice I play it the least! It sounds and plays so nice it tends to fool me into thinking I'm a better player. But I'm not. Congrats, play on.

dkelley and Foundtreasure like this.
  17. roller

roller Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Wow... ya learn something new every day. :)

Not being a lefty, this was something I never noticed before!

18. SWEET!! Great looking bass.
    I’d definitely play it at home and band rehearsals..... but I’d be hesitant to take it on a gig.
    Especially a bar gig.
    You did good on that bass, probably once in a lifetime deal.
    Unless you’re big time $$$$.
    I remember when a bass was just old and 2nd hand if you don’t buy it new. Haha if we only known.
    Good luck and play it in good health.

19. Bikeguy57

Bikeguy57 Supporting Member

Just to clarify, It's not NOS(New Old Stock). It is a beautifully preserved used bass. Play it, treat it gently, enjoy it. The value will always be there.

dkelley and Foundtreasure like this.
  20. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Great score! Congrats.