1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My New / Old MusicMan Stingray 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lia_G, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Found this at Bass Northwest today, and just couldn't put it down ... so it came home with me ...

mm5whitemaple1.

mm5whitemaple3.

That's not all my gear ... these are the shots from BassNW website ...

Anyway ... :)

Liam

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Nice, gotta love the white :)

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Awesome, love white/white maple SR5's.

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    That exact color scheme is on my "sold and regret" list.

5. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Welcome to the club. I just did a setup on my Ray5 this week, changed string gauge and pickup height in addition to the normal setup things [intonation, action]. The tone is back to being "me" rather than what i had the past few months. Note to self: don't play light gauge strings anymore. :)

FWIW-i'm playing DR Low Riders.

The info on my bass: Made in Early 2003 [order was placed late 2002] Cherry Sunburst, Maple Board, black guard.

Welcome to the Ray5 Family.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Light gauge strings are a thnig of the past for me. I stick to the mediums now. .045 - .130 on my 5er.

7. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA

Me too. I went from Labella Hard Rockin Steels Lights [40-118] to DR Low Riders Med [45-130] and am thinking about going to a 45-135 or even a 50-135 set. I'll leave that for the string forum though. The tone change was astounding after i did a setup.

8. niice bass man, i'm gasing hard for a SR5 these day. I love the all white but i think i would be more in business with a black PG. I gotta thing for black Pgs lol.

Killer bass though man, hope it plays as nice as it looks.

9. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    I have the Nickel plated LowRiders on my SR5 w/custom .130 'B' String -- love the tone and feel.

10. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Thanks, man! It plays great, or I wouldn't have bought it. ;) I like how the maple has aged (it's about 10-12 years old), and the white body has sort of faded to off-white, with the pickup cover yellowing even more. You can't see all that in the photos due to the flash and lighting, but it looks 'vintage-y' (although I'd never *really* call an SR5 vintage ... at least not yet).

It may end up with a shell pickguard:
    [​IMG]

We'll have to see.

My big dilema now is that I bought this other bass a few months ago, and it's sitting unplayed in my room:
    [​IMG]

I just couldn't keep my eyes off the yellowed maple on the white one I bought today. I believe that the black one is going to Mike Lull for a fretless conversion. I thought I'd have him use dark wood for the fret filler, leave the position dots, and then use light wood at the very edges of the fret filler, kind of like little hash marks at the edges of the former frets. Sort of a hybrid between a lined and unlined board. Here's what the unlined one looks like:
    [​IMG]

Yeah, I think that's what I'm going to do.

;)

Liam

11. Liam -

FWIW, a while back someone had posted pics of a SR5 in same color as yours but with a white pearl (MOTO) pickguard.

It was breathakingly pretty -- if I were you, I'd look into that option. :cool:

12. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Hi, IotaNet,

I've thought about it ... you mean like this?
    [​IMG]

Heh, the Ernie Ball instrument builder is evil ... ;)

Waffling back and forth ... we'll see what happens. Thanks for the recommendation!

Liam

13. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Oh, thanks ... but this is my second Ray5 ... ;)

The first one is now with Mike Lull being converted to fretless ... ;)

Thanks for the welcome!!

Liam

14. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    nice. i almost bought that before cashing in on something else. lucky you. ;)

15. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Very sweet! I like the maple neck on that baby.

16. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    have a mint green pickguard made. SWEET Ray and let us know how the conversion turns out!

17. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Very nice. My fretted SR5 is transparent white with a tort guard and maple fingerboard. The black on tort is really nice too.

18. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006

I'm interested in your pickup height; do you have it lower now or higher? How would you describe the difference in tone?

19. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Aww you just wanna be in Jamiroquai. Paul Turner plays one just like this, you just need the pearloid guard!

I woulda ordered my H/H in white if they had offered white pickup covers.

20. Wicked sweet man! I'm a frequent customer of Bass NW and job shadowed there for my senior project...in fact, I cleaned that bass! :D Enjoy!