my new old musicman

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vic_6, Aug 15, 2005.

1. vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    i'd just like to share with everyone here that i just got my 1980 stingray! woohoo!!! and the great thing about it is i got it for only $446.43!!! it's been refinished, changed tuners and pots but damn does it sound good. tuners are original musicman though. the pots, i have no idea where they're from. hehe. but yeah, it's freakin fantastic! :bassist:

and my old bass teacher a/b'd it with his '77 and they sound exactly the same! yeah!!!!

Attached Files:

2. hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

that nice have fun ;)
  3. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    sweet bass....I love the wear on it!! :D
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sweet, does it still have the preamp though?
  5. vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    huh... that got me thinking... how do you know if it's the original preamp? i just opened it now and well, im not so sure if the pots were replaced or they're just really so beaten up that they're not the same length anymore. is that even possible? maybe it chipped a bit or something that's why they're not the same length?

id assume it to have the original preamp cuz it's got that pre-EB tone. and like i said earlier it sounded exactly like my old teachers 77.
  6. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Take a look at Gavin's picture database of Stingray preamps. Compare yours to the pics for the 1979 Stingray and the Ernie Ball Replacement. It is most likely one of those, unless it's been replaced by something completely different (non-Stingray).

Preamp pics here

You can buy replacement pots from direct Ernie Ball customer service. Give them a call. You want the pots for direct soldering, not surface mount, and there are three different pots needed - each has a different value. In the early days, the wires were soldered directly to the pots. More recently, the pots have longer attachments to be soldered directly to the preamp board. They were out of one of the pots last time I called, but you can get them for the surface mount board then cut off the long 'stems'.

Very nice bass!
  7. vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    wow todd thats great help!!! thanks so much for that!

oh tplyons i found this on the webpage todd gave. just so you know. :p "From early 1979, amps become non-epoxy. IC chip mounted on circuit board, via a socket, for remainder of MM period."

ok so it IS the original preamp! :bassist:

the one on the left is the '70 preamp and the one on the right is an '83 preamp. mine's the same as the '83. or at least that's how it looks. it's hard to compare since the pic is quite blurry. but from how i see it, the only difference between 79 and 83 are the diodes (that's what they're called right? black on the 79. gray on the 83).

Attached Files:

8. wow what a cool thread...

A friend of mine in the states has a '78 ray that I've played many times...I loved it.
  9. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm quite sure that they are capacitors. the ones that look like silver coke cans are polar (connect them the wrong way and you will lose a finger) and the other ones that look like some clay coins are non-polar (you can connect them any way you want).
  10. nice, nice deal. have fun with that monster.
  11. vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    cool cool... thanks guys! :)
  12. coke can caps = electrolytic = polar
    clay coins = ceramic = non-polar

other common types include polymer film (non-polar) and tantalum (polar)
  13. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Reminds me of one I bought new in 1980, but mine had a maple board. Managed to get rid of it just before the pre-EB prices started going up. I don't miss it, though. I'm convinced mine was a dog. Ultra-heavy, and I never really liked the tone. Now I have a 1998 that's just fabulous.

Congratulations on getting a cool bass at a very cool price.
  14. Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    Awesome! I have a '79 that I am the original owner of that I absolutely love. Have Fun with it!! :bassist:
  15. vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    ras: why lose a finger? what do they do? im not really in the know with electronics much.

pilbara: whats the difference between the various kinds of capacitors? and what exactly do they do?

flatwound: oh dude, that sucks about your pre-eb. but at least you got one now that you love!

pruitt: yeah? cool cool! yeap, thanks man! i cant let go of this baby!!