1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My new old Overhauled 75Ri Jazz Pics Included

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flea claypool, Sep 29, 2008.

1. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    Evening All.. so i decided my beloved Jazz wasnt cutting it in the band im in atm and decided to give it a right old GOIN over..
    Currently my band seems to be changing alot in terms of our genre and i tend to change my tone alot too.. having bought a 3 channel sansamp about 2 years ago(finding it to be great bar the first channel foot switch packed up :confused::crying:) i found it just wasnt to my taste in terms of how useless it is main set (twist nob light flashs, get sound double tap) so it was time to go active :)

now dont get me wrong i love the old warm flatwound strung jazz sound, but this bass is my main one for the band i need something more aggressive.. so in with the new.. i was just goin to get a new East Pre-amp but i had a few extra pound from my B-day recently so i said it was time for a over haul :hyper::hyper::hyper: so..

1 set of Schaller Tuners,Schaller bridge,Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders,Warwick Straplocks,Black pickguard and pickup screws and copper foil and about 3 hours later im 90% of the way.. shes all set up and intonated.. ordered the East J-retro in black to finish off the ninja look :smug: that went in the post friday so some time this week ill post up a finished pic.. let me know what ya think :smug:

Aurin
    Before Photos
    DSC01980.
    DSC01982.
    Waiting for some black loving :D
    DSC01984.
    Ready for shielding (wash with White spirits for best effect)
    DSC01986.
    DSC01989.
    Just waiting for the Pre now :)
    DSC01994.
    DSC01995.

Cheers to all who gave me advice and to those that dont realise they did too :)

2. That looks just like my Squier VM!

Just kidding :) It looks fantastic! Very simple, very clean... classic.

3. very nice

4. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    Got the Pre this morning.. well impressed
    DSC01997.
    DSC01998.

5. No.

6. Glad you like it, but I can't help to think the whole vibe is ruined. I really like the original a lot more (just personally).

7. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    ya i had that feeling earlier too.. but im getting another Jazz made up for me by Brett of Vintage Guitars fame, so as to have the best of both worlds, like i said i was just gettin what i need to suit my style atm.. and the Pre can handle just about anything i think :)

and er?? yes??

8. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    If you like it...I like it. I think it looks more aggressive for sure. I don't care for the colored strings...just not my thing...but the East preamp is fantastic and I'm sure the Quarter Pounders add some umph to your sound. Enjoy!

9. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Look very cool!

10. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    well after first gig tonight im in love.. the east pre-amp is amazing (if a little bit overpowered if cranked) and ya the coloured strings arent to my liking i dont think..

11. copacetic

copacetic

May 23, 2007
    I have an eastwood pre amp on a Celinder J 10th. One of the problems I have even though it is well shielded is it is still a little noisy. When I switch to passive I totally loose volume and have to bring it way up real fast. But the passive is totally quiet. How is yours on that? By the way are those just colored strings or are they nylon wraps? I've often wondered what nylon wraps sound like on a jazz w/preamp...? I suspect they might be a little noisy as well being that the fret noise would still be there. Now that is a different story on a fretless or a semi hollow body.

12. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    Eastwood?? never heard of em.. switching between passive and active being honest i havent tried but id some like alot of Pre-amps it will most likely lose volume ala "Thump" before mine was shielded it used to buzz like a saw before i touched and earth it.. now it doesnt at all!!.. quietest bass ive heard!! really went over kill on the Shielding thou!!

The strings are DR Black Beautys, i dont think ill keep em thou being honest i dont think there too my taste.. and being ireland ive never had the chance to play more then just round wounds, in fact they dont even stock DR's to the best of my knowledge where i live, its all DADs and EB im looking into flatwounds for my next jazz thou

13. copacetic

copacetic

May 23, 2007
    Sorry I meant East J retro just like yours. Also you might like to try Dean Markley Flats or Labella FL flats (the ML version are heavier and 'tighter'). Flats just sound incredible on these and I know what you mean they are almost too 'active' but with the flats you can really play with the tone and brightness even on the flats. I also use the DM's on my PRS 4 and same thing with the available tones.

14. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Where are ya gettin DR's dude?

15. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    with a message like that i take it your in this little island too??

Thomann 30euro a Pop.. dont think ill use em again thou

16. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Damn' straight I do dude! :)

Thank's for the info!
    I've been wanting to try 'em, I like Dunlop's, espically as I don't locally have any other choice than D'Addarios....

17. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    never tried em.. more a fan of Dads then EB, wheres local may i ask?
    prob is shipping from thomann is 15 unless u spend 199.. so thats like 45 a pack :(

18. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    I'm in North Kerry, what area are you at?

45 a pack isn't any better than local really, but I will be ordering a pickup soon, could get a few then.

I dunno about D'Addarios they usually give me a wierd chimey tone, and then quickly die, but I have soem on my 8 string, that I love.

19. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    weird i find EB die way too quickly, South Cork, do sure buy a lash of em.. we really are starved for gear arent we :).. put it this way that jazz was ordered from japan, the pre from england, and all the new parts from germany,.... disgrace..

20. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Yeah, I found EB's to sound good, for a week or so, then dead.

And hell, you ain't kiddin about gear, I paid way over what should be natural for my gear, 'cept for Cort's, they go for a decent price, some of 'em anyway.
    And thats just what we can get! I've heard that Cork have decent music shops, musn't be the case!
    You gonna check out X Music, when it opens?

Asked the local shop for a MIA Fender, just said no. lol