My New-Old Peavy and questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eilif, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    I just had the privelige of peeling the pickguard film off of a perfect NOS peavy T-40. It's natural ash with a black pickgaurd and lots of shiny chrome. It has a cast bridge that is absoutely massive. As I was told in my earlier thread it is extremely heavy, but it is one of the coolest, most beautiful "classic-looking" basses I have ever seen. Best part... $247 (265 out the door) inclucing the hardshell case (one of the heaviest I have ever lifted) and a 3" leather strap, which is absolutely essential for an instrument of this magnitude (it makes my p-bass seem small).
    I like it so much I am going to lend my brother my p-bass for a semester.
    Anyway, I had some questions.
    1 What can I do to keep it looking this good?
    2 How can I find out what year it is?
    3 What does the phase switch actually do?
    4 The slots for the bottom 8 fretts were cut too deeply and you can see a bit of space beneath each frett. Is this a problem? Will it affect the fretts later on? What should I do about it?
    5 What did the origional case look like? I am curious to know if I got an origional. It doen't appear to say peavey anywhere on it. it is just a simple plywood case covered in black tolex with a brown faux-fur interior.

I have to mention that I am extremely happy and even with my limited time with this instrument, I would recomend this bass to someone looking for a good quality instrument that is not just another fender.
  2. CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    1. If it is the usual peavey gloss finish, a soft rag and regular guitar polish will do. If it is oil finished, occasional application of lemon oil is helpful.

2. Go to the forums section at and post the serial #

3. On the front page of Peavey's web site, there is a search box for manuals. Download and print the manuals for the bass.

4. Don't know

5. Ask the Peavey guys.

Oh, keep a chiropractor on standby when playing that thing. They are really very, very heavy!
  3. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    The T-40 is a very nice Bass and one of the best passive basses on the market.

Some possible answers:

2) Most of the 80's Peavey Basses have the build date on the back of the Neck where it bolts onto the body. You would have to remove the neck to see this.

3) The Manual on the Peavey Website explains how the pickups and phase switch works. You can get some interesting tones out of the T-40.

4) It sounds like the neck might have had a Fret job where someone cut too deep. I have a T-40 with the original (worn frets) and there is no gap.

5) The original Case that came with the T-40 in the Early 80's was a molded Plastic case with the Peavey Logo on it. I'm not sure what the late 70's models came with.