1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MY NEW (OLD) SUNN RIG: CONCERT BASS HEAD AND 2X15 CAB!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by de la mocha, Sep 9, 2008.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    I sold my GK rig for this baby! This rig is so friggin' loud and yet so tight, it's a shame that we have yet to improve upon "ancient" technology! :rollno:

This rig is far superior to my gk goldline cabs and gk 300 watt head. I play this monster through a stock squier P Bass with Fender flatwound strings and that's it.

No effects, no multiple tone knobs or active electronics with batteries, just plug in and play! One tone knob, one volume knob is all I need. I let my fingers do the grooving.

So here she is.......

I plan on painting the cab the same color as my bass, blue and black, having the cab the same shade blue as my bass and the grill cloth black, to make it look new.

I'm going to do the head also. Well, not me per say, but I'm going to have some one do it. I don't care, I like my vintage tone and I love my squier P. I don't need a thousand dollar bass to lay it down. I'm a simple straight up man when it comes to Bass. :bassist:

2. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    Sunn = :bassist: :cool:

3. KPAX

KPAX Banned

Mar 22, 2005
    Right on dude!
    I used to have that same rig back in HS. That 2x15 is a very good sounding cab. Does it have the origional stamped-frame, square magnet drivers? I think they were old CTS or maybe Eminence. Anyways, those drivers sounded great in that cab.

4. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I know that's right.

I used to have this same rig back in what they call the mid 70's.....awesome stuff!

5. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    I just don't understand why modern cabs just don't sound like this anymore? I mean, yes their have vast improvements on technology and so forth, but I cannot get the same warmness, feel or life from modern cabs.

6. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Five knobs, no waiting.

Back to mono. :)

7. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Very cool. :D I love what's referred to as vintage stuff. I don't think newer stuff is any better as to sound, and maybe, as you indicated, not as good. I understand the customizing for the Sunn that you want to do, but I personally love nothing better than to see vintage stuff in good condition, or even restored in extreme cases. Yours looks like just a good cleaning and maybe some touchup/detailing for it and it would look "classic." Just my opinion. Nice score. :cool:

8. Loudthud

Loudthud

Dec 25, 2007
    Dallas Texas
    Flat wounds and 15's ... unbeatable!

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I just got my 1st 215 cab, and it's old, and it rocks. I'm with ya, ('cept I do use fx pedals), but that classic 215 bass tone is sweet.

10. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I used to own one of those heads; they rock...