1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My new old Sunn

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassplayin, Mar 23, 2006.

1. bassplayin

bassplayin

Dec 5, 2005
    I've been wanting a 200s for about 6 years- what a great sounding low wattage tube amp! I feel lucky to have it. Sounds damn nice with my tele too.

sunn004.

2. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I have got to get into that whole vintage thing. You can't mess with the old sound. No solid state or amp modelers can do these things justice...

Nice amp.

3. very nice.

4. I have a friend with a 200S, 215 cab and Gibson bass that she bought new in about 1970. She was touring military bases in an all female band at the time. Great rig with great tone.

5. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    As far as tone goes..... That's as good as it gets. I love Sunn's.

6. Agreed.

7. Nice find. I love tube amps but usually can't lift them. How much does it weigh?

Peace,
    S

8. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    That's what it's all about - some tubes (or lots :D), a few knobs, and the truth.

9. preach on brotha!

10. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I have that exact same head. A word of caution, MAKE SURE YOU PUT A GROUNDED PLUG ON IT, and disable the polarity switch. I can't tell you how many times that amp has shocked me, and the last time it actually blew a fuse while doing it, so I finally went against my laziness and am currently having it grounded as we speak.

But yes, they are great clean sounding heads. I actually currently use mine as a PA head. For some reason I just like my vocals through tubes. :meh:

11. bassplayin

bassplayin

Dec 5, 2005
    TheSuzie- While I don't have a scale handy, I'd guess it to be around 40 lbs.

Ox- Yep. Great point you bring up. I've had my fair share of those kind of shocks and will immediately convert an amp to a grounded plug if it hasn't been done already.

While my 200s works and sounds real fine, it is in need of some new power tubes. It came to me with some old RCA 6550s, one of which is glowing blue at the base (gassing, ie: a small leak in the tube). I know I want KT88's in there and am considering the JJ's or the Svetlanas- if anyone has some experience with either of those brands, I'd love to hear about it. Other KT88s beyond the Sovtek/Groove Tube inventory too- I'm open to suggestions.

The rectifier tube is a late 50's/early 60's Sylvania 5U4GB. The preamp tube is a 6AN8A of unknown make- part of the label is worn off...it ends with ----IEC. I'm considering the Weber SS rectifier replacement for a little more clean headroom.

I love old tube amps. Fascinating!

12. bassplayin

bassplayin

Dec 5, 2005
    Ok. The mystery 6AN8A tube is actually the driver tube. I spotted the preamp tube hidden behind the massive transformer and I pulled it out. It's a Mullard 12AX7/ECC83! IEC is printed on that tube as well which means that the 6AN8A driver tube is also a Mullard. Sweet!!!!

I'm such a geek. I'm sorry. Heh.

13. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

Enjoy....it's one of my all time favorite bass heads!

George