1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My New P-Bass! Pickup Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by faulknersj, Jan 10, 2019.

1. jhm2112

jhm2112

Apr 27, 2013
    Los Angeles
    I have one of those basses and I wouldn’t change a thing on it. I like the baseball bat neck on it and that it has sustain for days. Congrats on the new bass!

faulknersj likes this.
  2. TinyE

TinyE

Jan 31, 2013
    portland,or
    i like that pickguard. homemade?

faulknersj likes this.
  3. BK bassist

BK bassist "Apollo's Ghost" Gold Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    Seymour Duncan 1/4 Lb’ers .... IMO ... best P pickups ever made.

faulknersj and Zoobiedood like this.
  4. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Supporting Member

I think the poster was talking about the Alembic p/u in the photo.

You can get the pickguard here: P Bass Style Pickguards - ertmermusic

carsbybigd and faulknersj like this.
  5. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    When I bought my Player P, I also ordered an EMG Geezer P pickup, thinking I'd want/need to swap the stock one out. Got the bass, gigged it, and found that the stock alnico pickup sounded great. Sent back the EMG unopened. YMMV.

One thing I will say is mess around with the tone knob. It is more useful than you might think, and I prefer the sound *not* wide open, but typically vary between 50-75% between tunes.

6. Sounds good to these ears and makes me want a P-bass. Like others said it might be a good idea to experiment with different strings and playing techniques before replacing pickups. I personally would take time to get used to the instrument before making any major mods.

retslock and faulknersj like this.
  7. noeinstein

noeinstein Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Northern California
    Wouldn't change a thing.

faulknersj likes this.
  8. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Don'y modify it for at least a year. Play that thing!

retslock, faulknersj and lermgalieu like this.
  9. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    And changing strings will have a much bigger effect on sound than a pickup change ever will.

faulknersj and steamthief like this.
  10. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I say swap pickups until you’re blue in the face. It’s a fun and totally reversible process that won’t negatively impact your particular instrument unless you’re careless with a soldering iron. I wouldn’t know what my preferences are if I didn’t do the same thing and now almost consider it a given that if I get a Fender, the electronics will eventually be experimented on if not completely swapped out at some point. Plus, there’s the added benefit of sharing your findings on your channel.

TN WOODMAN and faulknersj like this.
  11. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Flats for my P basses. The best P Bass pup switch for me was Duncan antiquity pups. They gave me the best old school tone.

12. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    The majority of these responses are what i dislike about this site. If somebody doesnt "get it" or doesnt agree.... just move along. Its absurd that the first half dozen or so replies are non-replies that are wasting time and taking up space.
    OP.... I get it... you want to mod the bass... you love bass.... you like gear.... its totally understandable. For what youre describing... Id be looking at a fender 62' or one of the lindy fralin offerings. Sweet bass.. enjoy it.

TN WOODMAN, BigDrew and faulknersj like this.
  13. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Subscribed.
    Great sound samples and playing! Thank you for that.
    Given the specimen, I wouldn’t change the pickups. They have a really nice tone and range of adjustment and I’m guessing they aren’t giving you any problems. For me, the only way I’m replacing pickups is if they are flawed in some way. Again, to me they sound great. Also, anymore I’m of the mindset that when I pay $500+ it’s because I like the sound and playability. Above that price about the only thing I’m willing to overlook are minor adjustments for feel and playability. Otherwise, I’ll just buy something that fits the bill in the end.

faulknersj and king_biscuit like this.
  14. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    You are the one missing the point. Faulknersj said in his first post that he liked the bass but wanted to know if new pickups might make it better. Therefore, it is perfectly valid for posters to tell him no, it sounds great as is, and new pickups won't make it better.

15. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    Found one

BigDrew and faulknersj like this.
  16. aprod

aprod

Mar 11, 2008
    That is the P bass sound. No need to swap pickups.

faulknersj, jhm2112 and Michael Bauer like this.
  17. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Leave it alone.

faulknersj and jhm2112 like this.
  18. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Keep pickups stock. Try labella LTF4A (top load it )along with .068 cap if you prefer roll off tone knob deep warmth tone.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  19. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Here's a quote about the VMOD pups from my review.
    NBD: Fender American Profesional Precision

20. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    All you need to do is, buy every pickup on the market, install them all, then pick one and send the others back for a refund.
    Seriously, just play it the way it is.