Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new P-bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BASSnSAX, Jun 21, 2002.

1. I just bought a MIM P-bass off of eBay (like $290), midnight blue finish and stock everything. I had bought it with all intents of modifying it.

First, I replaced the (IMHO) P.O.S. stock bridge with a BadAss II. I absolutely love the sound of it now. It's punchy and decently bright, so much so that I have to turn the tone knob down sometimes to take out some of the punchiness. Hell, it's got more punch than Muhammed Ali!

I slapped on my Dunlop straplocks and Levy XL 2.5" leather strap and it's so well balanced, its amazing.

BUT

There are three flaws...

First, the pickguard is cracked right by the input jack...my remedy for that:I was thinking of tracking down a Fender Black Moto Pickguard. easy enough

Second, the "Midnight Blue" color only looks blue part of the time...it looks mostly purple otherwise. My Remedy: Taking it to a guitar shop and seeing if they can repaint the body either a vintage white or a Candy Apple Red equivelant with a black border around the body, ala Steve Harris style.

Third, the neck is slightly warped. I have a Battle of the Bands competition, first round, next Thursday and a party to play at this Sunday. I believe the neck is fine for right now, but I have to watch myself so I'm not wailing too hard on the A-string or else it will buzz like a mofo against the first fret. My Remedy: Adjust the truss rod to make the neck more concave.

Now that would work if I still had a Truss Rod Bolt. Mine is completely stripped. So I was thinking of either going for a Fender neck off of eBay, a Warmoth neck or a Moses graphite P-bass neck.

I was reading up on the Moses and other graphite necks and saw that they are lacking in the midrange department. And I could never let go of my midrange, I love it to death, my p-bass is a midrange machine. So I was thinking about a Fender neck, but idk about that. So I'm really thinking about getting a Warmoth P neck, with that vintage yellow oil, but they say that they are more succeptable to warpage than finished necks.

So idk, your opinions would be gladly accepted.

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    first: P bass rule!!

second: buy a truss rod wrench and adjust the neck. no need for a new neck until you try this. then a fresh set of strings and happy playing!

3. Hope you knew the bass was in this condition when you purchased it!:eek:

Your right about the pick guard, that can be replaced.

About the paint job...
    It will probably cost you a pretty penny to get it done by someone else, especially a guitar shop.
    If you are friend with someone there, you can make out like a bandit. I understand your liking to the bass, you found your tone and want to keep it.

Bummer about the truss rod. Replacing it would be the quickest and easiest solution. Dunno how long Warmoth takes to deliver a neck, but I would second the Warmoth P neck. Or just take your chances on ebay.

I'd probably go with a fender neck off of ebay or fender replacement.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Once you've paid for the bridge, pickguard, new neck, and paint job you may as well have bought a new bass that was the way you wanted in the first place.

5. I suppose you guys are right, I'll just keep the paint job the way it is...but about that truss rod, I've tried to adjust it using an allen wrench set that I've got, but it just didn't work. I even looked in the hole, and there was nothing that resembled a bolt/nut...there was a chunk of stripped metal with a hole in the middle.

Now, should I have the truss rod replaced, or get a Fender replacement neck?

6. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
  7. Octane

Octane

Apr 27, 2002
    You probably could have gotten a MIM P bass without any of those problems for about $350

May I suggest a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder Pickup (same featured on the Stever Harris sig series). That will go great with the BadAss bridge

8. Well, would a replacement neck, like Warmoth, change the sound any, or would it sound worse/better?

And about the Quarter Pounder, I love the sound of it as it is, all it needed was the Badass 2...the QP is extremely hot, and my stock p/up is so punchy, I have to turn my tone knob down just to take away some of the harshness. That is when I'm wailing on my strings.

9. Also, where could I track down some Fender headstock decals?

10. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    You aren't a guitarist are you? :rolleyes: You can't really care much about the appeal of the brand... just what you get out of it.