Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new parts bass, super jazz!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tim Cole, May 16, 2004.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I bought this lot of parts, which needed to be assembled. The original owner had been buying the parts over the last 3 years, and never assembled it. All but the preamp were new, never installed. The moses neck required a bit of work to install (cutting, fitting, and shaping the nut, drill holes in heal, install screw bushings, and string tree), but the final product was well worth the work. I'm not a big fan of the gold, so it will be replaced with chrome, and I already have a tort guard on the way for it, for a more traditional look. I'd put this bass against any custom J bass made, it is killer.

Here's what we have here:
    -Warmoth 1 piece ash body, painted gloss black by Warmoth
    -EMG vintage JV pups
    -J-retro preamp
    -Gotoh bridge
    -Lefty Moses graphite neck
    -Hipshot ultralite tuners

[​IMG]

2. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    its...it's...............astonishing!

3. One of the most coolest jazz's ever IMO.

4. WOW, slick

though the tuners on the "wrong" side do irritate me

5. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    yeah me too but it still looks great. hmmm I wonder how a gold ashtrey would look on that.

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    That bass looks cool. Personallym I'd put black hardware & pickguard on it & make it stealth.

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Hehe... a "stealth" Jazz.... I like the idea of that.

8. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    DROOLS! That's a damn nice bass! :hyper:

9. very cool jazz:)

10. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    forgot something : what does the stacked pots? Volume/Blend(?), Bass/Mid(?), Treble/???

11. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    the reverse neck is cool but I cant dig it, where did you found/bought that pickguard????? I just love that pickguard

12. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    I can see a big problem with that bass's cleaning and maintenance, those screws will lost their gold coat before you could even be able to say french fries.

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    IME it depends on the way they are coated.

14. I hate you...

Well, actually I don't, I'm just jealous! It is beautiful Tim! Good score man.

15. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Very nice Tim! I really like the inverted headstock!

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    About how much did that run you total?

17. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Thanks a lot guys, it was a fun nights project assembling it. The gold is really growing on me, I am not sure I have the heart to swap it over now. Someone asked about the preamp, and stacked knobs. That is a J-retro, which is truly the Bentley of preamps. I haven't had a lot of time to mess with it, but it does about anything a preamp can do. Blend, mid sweep, EQ, passive/active switching. Prices start at around $300 on them. There is a whole forum dedicated to them on www.thedudepit.com for more information, anything you would ever want to know about them. I also got a gold electronics plate, with a complete EMG preamp setup wired and ready to go, but I will never use it....the retro pre rules over all.

Figjam, at my best estimation, there is about $1400 worth of parts on this bass, at new prices(Everything is new on this except the retro). Let's just say I got a screamin' good deal. :)

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Nice.

(btw you use the same soap as me :p)

19. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    the bass is excellent this way.
    please dont change the pickguard and hardware.