1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

my new Peavey Grind 6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CDuff, Aug 30, 2008.

1. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    ...although, it's not exactly 'new' :D It's second-hand but good as new.
    PeaveyGrind6NTB_web.

I've wanted a 6 for years but just never took the plunge, until about two weeks ago. My previous bass, which I've given away now, was a Peavey Dynabass (a Peavey expert informs me that in Europe what's called the Dynabass is actually the Grind in America and that, in America, the Dynabass is a completely different beast.)
    Anyway, knowing that, I guessed that I'd like the sound, the ergonomics of the neck and body and all-round quality. Just as I was looking at buying a brand new one from Thomann, this second-hand one showed up on eBay, so I went for it :D
    With tedious predictabilty, my theory that it would be just a 6 string version of my beloved Peavey 4 string turned out to be spot-on :D no unpleasant surprises. I love it.
    Trying to convince both my hands to finger the same string at the same time is a nightmare.... but a fun one, if that's possible. A funmare.... a nightfun?

If I had to offer one criticism, it'd be that tonally it's a bit of a one-trick pony. It's not just that I've become too used to playing my active fretless where you can call up 'extra' treble and extra bass, even compared to other passives it doesn't have a great range from treble to bass. I know this is something you can mostly solve with the amp settings but it would obviously be better to have the guitar itself be capable of a broad tonal range.
    The good thing is though, it just so happens to be the tone I like the most from a bass. Not so much bass that you can't hear the note and not so much treble that it becomes clangy and ...bassless.

If anybody has any questions about the bass that I might be able to answer for you, let me know.
    But if the questions are just on specs, here's the official page :)
    http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/116715/Grind Bass 6-String.cfm

2. Left Left Goose

Left Left Goose Banned

Aug 19, 2008
    sexy neck, one of the first NT necks that i really like

3. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    Yeah, it's pretty cool-looking :D

I wasn't that crazy about having a neck-through, though. It's not that my guitars are regularly in dangerous situations or anything, but I like the idea of a replaceable neck. ...but it's not gonna be a problem, I don't think :)

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I just spent some quality time with a Grind five string. It is a crazy good bass for the money!:eek:

5. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    ...and even cheaper when you go second-hand. Obviously the thing that kept me from moving to a six-string was money but this bass is a great way to take the first (and possibly last) step into sixdom. It's a nice balance of price and quality. I mean, looking around on eBay, there are cheaper 6 strings.... but cheap really is the word. I wouldn't trust them without playing them first. This was a safer bet for me.