1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My New Pedaltrain Build

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bezo420, Jun 3, 2017.

1. bezo420

bezo420

Aug 28, 2011
    Mentor
    I wanted to upgrade my power supply, but I've had a PT-2 since they came out. The stupid port holes had me shackled to the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus, especially since I use the courtesy outlet to power a sampler. So, I found a Classic 2 for cheap, which is the same size board, and spent a fortune upgrading it. I'm just about ready to switch over all of the pedals.

I went with the Walrus Audio Phoenix for my power supply. It has 15 outs that will power my 14 pedals, and an 18v tap to juice my boost. They didn't have the mounting kit at the store though, so I got creative. I drilled holes through the top of the board that lined up with the screw holes on the unit. Then I replaced the screws with slightly longer ones and screwed them in through the board. I added washers to the other two screws just so they catch the lip for some extra support. Just make sure you don't take the back plate off the unit and void the warranty! DSC_0860.JPG DSC_0863.JPG

Then, I got some hardware for a breakout panel. I drilled holes through my PT-2 to mount jacks to the front. I wanted the same layout, but there was no way. I had to get mounting brackets for the jacks, and mod them to put them where I wanted them. I again drilled through the top and used a not and bolt to mount the brackets. It came out great! _20170602_220947.JPG _20170602_220017.JPG _20170602_220407.JPG _20170602_220641.JPG

I can't wait to switch all my pedals over! I'll keep you posted.

2. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

The 3 Neutrik jacks: in, out, and ???

3. bezo420

bezo420

Aug 28, 2011
    Mentor
    The one on its own is in, and the three are out, in, out.

4. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    Do you have a part number for those Neutrik jacks?

5. Jonny5bass

Jonny5bass Supporting Member

May 3, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Are those the Best Tronics patch panels?

6. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

I think we'll need an explanation of the routing scheme of your board. Is the second I/O for adding a second board?

7. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    I cannot speak for the OP but...

Bass --> Pedal Board IN-1 --> Effects --> Pedal Board OUT-1 --> Amp --> FX Send --> Pedal Board IN-2 --> Effects --> Pedal Board OUT-2 --> FX Return

That is how I would do it.

8. bezo420

bezo420

Aug 28, 2011
    Mentor
    Yes. I modded them a little bit to get them where I wanted them.

I divide my board up to put effects on two different instruments. I play an electric kazoo, and use the other in/out for that chain. I find electric kazoo sounds so much better with delay and reverb, and the occasional harmony.

I grabbed my old board from the spot. I just need to transfer over the pedals. I wish I had more free time. (Stupid adult responsibilities!)

Jonny5bass and TheEmptyCell like this.
  9. bezo420

bezo420

Aug 28, 2011
    Mentor
    Okay, I got it together. Here it is.
    DSC_0920.JPG
    I have it set up where it's easy for me to use, instead of having everything in order. So, my signal chain is a spider web on that board. I always go from my wireless into the "in" jack, so that if it ever fails, I can plug a cable straight in. I also use part of my board for my kazoo rig. I'll go through my signal chain.

Shure GLX-D wireless
    In jack
    EHX BassBalls
    Zvex Mastotron
    Wampler Clean Buffer (under Phase 90)
    MXR Bass Compressor
    Toadworks True Bypass switch
    -Fulltone Bass-Drive
    -MXR Phase 90
    ISP Decimator II
    Earthquaker Devices Sea Machine
    TC Electronics Flashback Mini
    Earthquaker Devices Transmisser
    Out jack

Kazoo
    In jack
    EHX Pitch Fork
    Z Cat Delay Reverb
    Direct box
    Out jack

I keep certain effects close together so that I can turn them on and off at the same time. Most of what I use the most is on the bottom row. I use a loop to get my Phase 90 out of the chain when I don't use it, and to turn my overdrive on and off. I also turn my compressor off when I use the fuzz because 1) the fuzz is compressed enough, and 2) it screws up the decay of the gated fuzz.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    vivaknoxvegas likes this.
  10. bezo420

bezo420

Aug 28, 2011
    Mentor
    Here is a gut shot. DSC_0922.JPG
    I use lamp wire to wrap up the wires underneath. It's stiff, and holds everything together well, but I can just unwrap it if I ever change anything.

I will admit this: All of the jacks on the Phoenix being all bunched up in the middle made for quite a rats nest of power cables. I did my best to tame it, but it's still there.

vivaknoxvegas likes this.