1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My New Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jbutler1982, Aug 13, 2007.

1. jbutler1982

jbutler1982

Jul 15, 2007
    So, I posted a while back about haggling at guitar center, and I got some great replies. Unfortunately, it didn't work - the price is firm at $799 plus $68.00 sales tax. So, I was hoping to get opinions on how the Fender Hwy 1 P compares to the Lakland Bob Glaub used. The Hwy 1 would have gig bag and the Glaub a hardshell. They are both Ps, and I'd rather not have to change up the pickups. They both have rosewood fingerboards. I use very heavy and thick flatwound string on my precisions. I was wondering if anyone has played the Glaub that can comment on it. Also, is a used Duck Dunn worth the extra cash? I can't play the Glaub or the Duck so pulling the trigger is risky. I like the Hwy 1 P but after playing it again im not in love with it. Thoughts? Any other contenders? I played the American Precision but its a bit pricey and I didn't notice much difference in the Hwy 1 P. I can't afford the 1957 reissue P.

-John

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The Glaub and Duck are very good Fender style basses. The oval bridge is a deal breaker for me, but if you can get past its strange look, I think either one would be better than a Hwy 1, although the more recent Hwy 1's are a lot better than the older ones.

3. sandmann

sandmann

Dec 27, 2005
    i recently tested a new highway1 p-bass, the one with a bad-ass II bridge and i was very impressed. though i like my bob glaub better. i like the oval bridge very much, from the distance i almost looks like an ashtray to me.

sandmann

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That's exactly what I hate about it, although a sink drain was my first thought.

5. hoosierdad

hoosierdad

Sep 1, 2003
    Indiana
    When I tried a Hwy 1 PBass - I didn't fall in love either. I would say - if you're not loving it in the store - you probably shouldn't buy it.

6. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

sometimes , wonderful basses hang on the rack at GC for months ,
    and because they have terrible action , people think they are crap basses ...

don't let that fool you , the new HWY.1 basses are very nice after a proper set-up .

7. i would really try to get that 57, man, i dont have one, but i think im actually gonna get a job so i can get one....

there so nice.....