Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my new programmable SansAmp...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dunamis, Apr 20, 2005.

1. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    ... is due to be delivered tomorrow! UPS Tracking says it's on time, scheduled to arrive April 21!

I'm in the process of assembling a new DI stage rig for use in a church setting. Simple, warm, tubey (is that a word?). Here's the chain:

Active bass=> Korg DT 10 stage tuner=> Programmable SansAmp=> ART Tube PAC(preamp/compressor)=> mixing board

I love getting new gear-- it's like Christmas but in the spring!

2. A programmable Sansamp, that's just a great idea. It would be nice to switch between varying levels of drive and prescence on mine, but it works pretty well already so I think you'll enjoy yours. I've read about it but so far I don't think anyone on TB has one. Guess you're the first!

3. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    I have the new Programmable SansAmp in my hand! :hyper: The only problem is I'm at work and will have to wait until tonight to try it out. :(

Here's a pic:

Attached Files:

4. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Since Tech21's website is lacking the information (like downloadable manuals) I'll ask you the question that occurred to me about the programmable BDDI:

Can you ever bypass it? The regular BDDI has the single footswitch to engage/bypass it. With the programmable can you go into bypass mode (I'd guess by stomping the selected tone button a second time, but not too quickly or you reprogram it?)

I'm curious as I'm thinking I might want one, but I'd want to be able to bypass it.

Thanks

5. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Reading to you now directly from the manual:

"SansAmp PBDR can go into bypass mode from any of the three channels. Whichever channel you're already in, hit that channel's footswitch once and you'll be in bypass mode."

I haven't tested any of these features yet but that's what the book says!

Matt

6. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Super! Thanks for the info. Now I just have to see if I can find $199 worth of change in the couch . . .

7. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I couldn't tell from either the pix or info on Tech 21's website--does the programmable BDDI have line/instrument level control switches for the XLR and 1/4" outs like the new single-channel BDDI?

8. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    winston,

It has both-- a -20dB pad switch on the xlr out and a +10dB boost on the 1/4" out. They're buttons instead of switches used on the SABDDI.

According to the manual, the output of the xlr is 0db with switch engaged and -20dB when disengaged, and the 1/4" output is 0dB with the switch engaged and -10dB disengaged.

Matt

9. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    I've spent a bit of time playing around with the PBDR. It has some interesting features. Each foot switch can be set up to "remember" the settings on the knobs, which operate pretty much just like those on the SABDDI. Just set the knobs to your favorite sounds and double click the switch.

Due to this programmability, the knobs settings may not agree with the sounds at all times. Let's say you program switch 1 and then move on to switch 2 and change the knob settings to program that switch-- when you then click back to switch 1, you get the sounds that were programmed for switch 1 even though the knobs are still set to the 2nd. Takes a little getting used to.

If you want to see the settings for switch 1 at that point, click on that channel and move each knob slowly. The LED flashes faster and faster as you approach the programmed setting and then stays on when you get there. Do this for each knob and *voila* you have the knobs set back to the channel one program.

This is really a lot easier than it sounds.

Other than that, things are pretty much the same as the good old SABDDI. If you liked that, you'll love it-- it's kinda like having three of them in parallel but you only have to hit one switch at a time to switch between them. Cool!

10. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    The flashing light thing to find your setting is a cool feature.

11. Yups, one hell of a handy feature. It was already available on the programmable PSA-1 preamp!

12. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    hmmm... this sounds very very interesting.

13. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    and also the tri-ac, it's identical in it's operation (except having the different knobs, obviously)

14. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    And so...one could set button 1 for clean...button 2 for a lil dirty...and button 3 for full overdrive?????

15. So does anybody who has it have any comments on it's sounds? Sound clips maybe?

~~~~~~~~
    Dave

16. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    exact same as regular BDDI IMO, you just have the option of storing / retrieving different programs

17. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    They haven't changed any of the circuitry whatsoever so the sounds remain the same - although be interesting to hear how smoothly it switches etc. :D (I'm just too anal about these things)

18. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Now motorized knobs would be cool. Like the fender Cyber-Twin amp. That thing is cool. But it's really just a big toy. Unlike this sansamp here...

19. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    changes smoothly, no momentary pause like you get on some multi fx units.

20. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Our gu*tar player wants to buy my "old" BDDI and pay day is next week. So my order is going in on Thursday night! Life is good! :bassist: