Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new R-Bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass_Inferno, Apr 10, 2004.

1. I just got a new model Rbass. It is made of mahogany body, flame maple top and 5 piece maple neck, John East U-Retro pre-amp with tone control and bartolini single coil pickups.

This bass is awesome. Is a very versatile bass I play rock, funk, blues and I also a slap a lot. It has a very modern sound (wich I like) but with the U-Retro I can get a very large pallette of tones. Wich comes from vintage sounding to very modern hi-fi sound thanks to the tone control. The bass is like no other bass that I had in my hand. The playability, action, the overall feel and the resonance of the instrument is fantastic, really cuts in the mix and I mean cut's trough...

When I decided to buy the bass Ray had in the shop two Foderas one was a VW Monarch 4 string with the Pope preamp the other one was a Monarch 5 string, I set down played all the basses Ray had in the shop and let me tell you for those of you who may think the R basses are inferior to any other top of the line basses youre mistaken and I don't mean to criticise any other builder but when i compared and I played trough many different amps and speakers, R basses won the battle. The basses are not built to have a vintage sound they are truly a MODERN SOUNDING INSTRUMENT FOR TODAYS MUSIC

Ray is a true craftman and knows how to build a professional instrument because I am a professional player... And practically played everything in the market Ken Smiths, Foderas, Sadowsky, Tobias, Fabregues, F Basses........you name it.. And I truly discovered my sound.

I respect every bass player outhere so don't take this as a offense, this is just the way I feel about my bass

2. It's always so good when you find your voice! Did the Foderas that you tried have the mahogany body? They seem almost similiar in body shape and workmanship, how about the p/u's? What F bass did you try? Peace, John

3. The Foderas I played had mahogany body, flame maple top, maple neck with kingwood fretboards. The preamp was Mike Pope the pickups Bartolini humbuckers on the five and EMG's in the four.. My bass has the same woods but it has Batolini Jazz pickups (I love jazz pickups) and it has U-Retro pre-amp with tone control, My bass has a very organic tone and it resonates beautifully..

The Foderas had a very muffled tone and the preamp was very harsh, the output of the bass was so strong I could not define a good tone, everything seemed so uneven the low B in the five was not bad but no definition. On my R-Bass every note is even the low B is so defined that when I played whith the octave on many of the notes they are very focused and you can understand the notes clearly.

The Foderas that I tried are very expensive and to my personal taste not worth the money. The R-bass is less expensive but to me more bass than the Fodera. I'm note critisizin fodera it's my personal feeling.

The F-Bass that I tried was a BN5 in Ash the sound was too vintage and I didn't like the feeling.. Peace.!

4. Soon I will put some pics of my bass.....

5. Ray/Rbasses

Ray/Rbasses Guest

Apr 26, 2004

Hey Yoel..

Thank you very much for your support I know you will be happy with the bass, enjoy it and send me some pics of your band.

Hey call me so we can talk ..

6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    I briefly owned an R bass- i think it might even be pictured on the website- i stupidly sold it- it had incredible playability and tone- this bass nailed the Marcus Miller tone and many other great tones- i wish i had kept in, in fact, if anyone ever sees it for sale, i would definitely buy it back....
    hole , Ray- sabes donde esta este bajo?
    [​IMG]

7. Ray/Rbasses

Ray/Rbasses Guest

Apr 26, 2004
    Hola Mr. Adrian Gracia.

I apreciatte your support saying that my instruments are good. I will like the chance to talk to you sometime in a future about the subject of basses. e-mail me your number. My number is (787)390-9333. If I see that bass posted anywhere I will let you know if not GET A NEW ONE!!!! Like that ah???? Just kidding
    :D

Thanks a lot an take care.

8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    hey, Ray.. i speak the truth ! that bass was awesome! one of the drawbacks of being a dealer is I am always getting offers and feeling like i need to sell, so sometimes we make mistakes, like selling that bass...
    i will call you in the next two days... my number, as many know, is 1 800 361 9927-
    como estan las cosas en la Isla?

9. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Hey Ray,
    Good to see you on Talkbass!
    I did get your email about contacting you for a quote on that bass with the amboyna top...sorry for not getting back to you! I have been busier than a one legged man in a butt-kicking contest! It's definitely easier for me to communicate on email...
    I'm looking for an alder bolt on double cutaway, amboyna burl top, birdseye maple board, John East 3 band preamp, Bart Jazz pickups, gold hardware...
    Ballpark quote?
    Thanks!
    Matt

10. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Lamar Jones LOVES his R-Bass and he's been through nearly every brand out there!

And Bassfiddle63 has dubbed his R-Bass as his "Grave Bass"...That's where he said he's taking it. :bawl:

Maybe there's an R-Bass SC-4 34" scale in the cards for me. :meh:

http://www.lamarjonz.com/Bass/RBass.htm

[​IMG]

11. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Tha is one helluva nice looking bass. That preamp looks crazy! :eek: Are there actually 5 knobs and 4 switches on there or am i going crazy...er?

12. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I've had a few nice ones come through.....

killer 33" scale B
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This bass smoked!!!
    [​IMG]

13. This is my bass and is really awesome..!!!!!!

33" scale, Bolt-on and a Killer Low-B.>!!!

14. BassFiddle63

BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    Oklahoma
    Ray most definitely makes an extraordinary bass compared to all other brands I've played.

15. Congrats BassInferno. I usually dont give my 2cents around here but I feel like I need to chime in here. Ray your basses are awesome I've had mine for a about a year now and it is never leaving my side!

K

16. Ben_P

Ben_P

Oct 2, 2001
    Alberta, Canada
    What's the difference between the Double Cut and the Double Cut Elite?

17. drewl :D BEATIFULL :hyper:

18. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I do love my R bass. I have had quite a bit come by, but that singlecut is just one of the sweetest basses ever, it makes palying a pleasure everytime. I am also holding onto this 6 right now.

[​IMG]

19. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

sharp! That bridge looks real cool.

20. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    i was just going to say, that bridge is cool! does it affect tone at all?