1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My "New" Relic. If you don't dig these don't look!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Craig Garfinkel, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    I was going to post these in the most recent "I Don't Get Relics" thread, but sadly it was closed.

If you don't dig these, that's more than cool...but I'm posting these pics for those that do, so I would respectfully ask that nonconstructive criticism be withheld.

I've had a Fender Classic 60's J Bass for a year or so, and decided to have my tech give it the relic treatment. We both had a lot of fun doing this, and for a first-time effort, I think Paul von Schmidt did an excellent job. My motivation was to have a classic-looking 4 string J bass that looked vibey, but played and most importantly sounded great. I wanted this bass to be able to hang tone-wise with my Sadowskys. We achieved this by adding a Sadowsky onboard preamp, Fender Custom Shop 60's J pickups, a Gotoh bridge and a Hipshot D-tuner.

First some pics.

Attached Files:

2. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    More pics. Sadowsky pre with vintage knobs. Volume, pan, stack treble and bass.

Attached Files:

3. RayO5421

RayO5421

Jan 15, 2007
    Toms River NJ
    Pretty cool, I'm not really a relic guy but I'm sure it sounds great.

4. Your bass looks kinda beat-up.

5. :D

j/k

nice job, looks great.

6. 3rdBass

3rdBass Funk in A Supporting Member

Sweet....used but not beaten. Same color combo & setup as my '88 MIJ. Love those stacked plastic knobs.

7. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Mmmm. . . constructive criticism: looks a bit exaggerated and unnatural wear in some spots. Also, for the amount of wear, which indicates many years of use, the paint is too white. The wear pattern in the back of the neck is definitely unnatural.

Check out some of the latest Nash basses at www.thelowend.net. I think Bill Nash is really perfecting his techinique, and doing just the right amount of wear. Bill used to put too many dings and nick randomly in the paint. . . looked like somebody sat there and bounced keys or a chain at the bass for a week. . . not very natural wear. . . (although some of them still show too many random nicks, but it's getting better). Fender Custom Shop does even a better job, in my opinion. They really sit there and analize what is the common wear from years of playing under normal condition, not random wear that is not indicative of repeated playing.

8. Nicely done. I really like the way he did the thumb wear above the pups, nice touch!!!

9. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I'll second the "not entirely natural-looking" school of thought. Of course, with a poly finish its gonna be real tough to get it to look like a naturally-worn, nitro-finished Jazz.

That said, it still looks pretty cool and I wouldn't be ashamed to gig with myself. If you're happy, I'm happy for you!! :)

10. Rope

Rope

May 27, 2003
    Essexville, MI
    Can I ask where you sourced the stacked knob?

11. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    I agree with your constructive points Lefty. But it's a bit unfair to compare Paul's first attempt to a cat like Bill Nash. IMO Bill is one of the very best relic artists (yes...artist IMO) around today. I'll give Paul another try or two before I feel he needs to be at that level. ;)

12. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Yup. The poly finish made getting the colors and wear more "authentic" nearly impossible. We would have liked to have gotten some finish checking, but poly don't check.

13. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Sadowsky provides the vintage knobs on request. Didn't have to special order. :cool:

14. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch. Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    did you have to do any routing to get the sadowsky pre in it? were the pups a direct drop in?

15. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    Looks good Craig,

it sure is fun isnt it.. I love doing them and each one gets better and better.. When you do your first one everyone seems to go overkill.. But as you learn and do more, you will have the oppurtunitys to not do what you did last time etc.

A little goes a long way, if you or your friend want some tips and tricks I have figured out along my way, feel free to PM me and ill shoot you or your friend my number.

Oh and there is a way to turn that white a little yellow :)

this is one im working on now for 3rdbass
    [​IMG]

16. After studying several well worn basses and looking at as many pics as I could prior to doing my bass, I made a few observations.

First I've never seen two necks worn the same. IMHO, this has as much to do with how the original finish was applied as to how the bass was played and who played it. I would much prefer to sand them, then leave them natural as oposed to staining them. After sanding through the finish, it won't take much playing to give it that worn, dirty look.

The body wear and even DAMAGE must also be considered on an individual bassis. The inside of both horns on my buddies basses are beat to hell on the insides. He said the damage on the lower horn tip and inside was from playing in cramped spaces, very close to his drummers symbols. The inside of the top horn was worn from a home made stand that he uses. The bass that he uses mostly in the studio has wear on the edge of the body below the pickguard from wearing on his jeans.

IMHO, Bill Nash does a great job of "averaging" all the possible wear. My only negative thought is he removes too much of the finish on the necks, but that's all subjective. I just bought a Reverend, a Nash is next on my list!!

17. 3rdBass

3rdBass Funk in A Supporting Member

Even non-original (vinatge nitro) may not check. Anti-checking agents are added. IMHO, Nash's work, although highly commendable as they're built from the ground up, exhibits the same chipped patterns along the edges, as though a wire wheel on a drill was employed. Used conservatively I appreciate and admire that particular technique but the extra-worn models are over-the-top for my taste.

18. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Paul, my tech (or luthier...gotta ask him which he prefers) did some minor routing of the control cavity (I think) and routed a battery compartment underneath the pickguard, just north of the cavity and drilled a hole from one to the other for the battery leads. Yes this does mean I have to remove the pickguard to replace the battery, but I'd rather do that then remove the control plate to do it, like you do with the Audere and J Retro style pres. He also shielded the cavity with copper. Top notch pro job. It's quiet as can be.

Fender 60's Custom Shop pickups dropped right in. :cool:

19. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I like the back of the neck. I'd remove the strip of finish running down the middle myself, but it looks comfy as is.

20. Great job on the hardware!