1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My New Ric 4003W...was on the fence, but not anymore :)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hevy T, Dec 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Wow what a difference 1/8 turn made on the truss rods of this puppy. I was a little on the fence with it till I took it to practice next week. But now just wow this thing is frigging amazing now.

The action was high with the usual bow of a fender. Well I read an article online about setting these things up and apparently they are designed for close to zero neck relief!

I was afraid to tackle the dual rods but figured I do most of my own setups anyways so it can't be that bad 263a.

[​IMG]

2. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    I've found that with any new bass, I'm going to want to adjust the truss rod, bridge saddles, and pickup height (especially the pickup height). A small tweak on any of those can transform a bass either for better or worse. And that includes instruments coming from the best luthiers around. Wood moves, especially when shipped, and even if a builder knows how I like my setup it'll only be close at best.

Hevy T likes this.
  3. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ric seems to send out their new basses with dang near all the tension off the rods. The hardest part about adjusting a Ric neck is getting the nut driver on the nut.

4. I always (almost always anyway) tweak a new bass, action and truss rod(s), usually pickups also. I just got a new Tony Franklin fretless P bass and fooled around with the string height and pickups first then tweaked the neck a little and that was the ticket. Basses usually come with a little more relief than I like, the exception was my American Hotrod P bass, it was perfect right out of the box and has stayed that way. I find 4003 truss rods very easy to adjust and the nuts never dive into the wood, still love 4001's though.

5. farace

farace

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    You might also find the nut to be a little bit high, as I did with my 4003 I bought new last year. Official babble is that they leave it high to allow for personal preference, but it's been pointed out by luthiers here (and it makes perfect sense) that there really is only one correct height for a nut slot. I brought mine to a luthier and had him match the nut height of my '83 4003. The action wasn't bad before, but was much better with the nut cut correctly.