1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My New Rickenbacker and the Rest of the Family

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jackajesusfreak, Apr 29, 2010.

1. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    Bassboys.

SX Ursa Short Scale Hofner CT Rickenbacker 4003

Rick.

Rickclose.

Rickhead.

Question for the Rick users, I'm assuming the switch, in the middle position, is using both pickups?

Jack

2. Nice bass man, congrats. Yes, toggle in the middle is both pickups on. One of my fave settings is both pickups on, tone all the way up on both pickups, bridge at max, neck vol down a 1/4 to 1/3. Have fun with it.:bassist:

3. DERECOLA

DERECOLA

Aug 21, 2006
    PA
    WHERE is the blue Hofner?

4. artdrtr

artdrtr

Jan 24, 2008
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Great addition to your collection. My P and J are collecting dust since my Ric arrived...

Yes, center = both PUs

I love the raised type on the truss rod cover -- mine is just flat

5. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    It's in the stand where it's been since I bought it and changed strings. Poised and waiting for a buyer!

6. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Nice.
    The new FireGlos are definitely better than a few years ago, much more like a nice aged 1970s bass.

Tip for the new Rick owner: boost your mids and your preamp.
    Wish I had known that 20 years ago, it would have saved me a lot of time messing with different amps.

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Awesome Bass! Congrats!

8. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    thanks kc

9. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    Nice basses. I didn't know that they made Hofner Contemporary basses in red.

10. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Very nice fireglo Jack. ;)

11. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    I've got a blue one for sale just like it. Brand new 500 + shipping.

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah buddy! I read your previous thread where you were looking, congrats on finally getting one. It's a sweetie. Another tip, when using both pups, I usually turn the bass volume (neck pup) down a wee bit, and it seems to open up more that way. Expiriment, those 4 knobs have alot of variations available. Have fun with it.

13. Peacefrog35

Peacefrog35

Dec 26, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Conrats !! She's beautiful! I love fireglo.

14. s4001

s4001

Feb 2, 2009
    The new FG's are great! Enjoy 'er!

15. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    4/2010 Brand new!

16. Oh yea, the slim neck that is a two piece laminate construction, larger dot fret markers on the neck binding, slimmed down bass and treble horns. The headstock is also slightly narrower and thinner. The bass even weighs less compared to the Jan 2009 model. :cool:

17. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    I never got a manual with it as far as the mechanics. I see how to intone, but what are the screw knobs for on the bridge?

18. They raise and lower a foam mute under the strings. Tightening them raises it and obviously loosening lowers it. I didn't have much use for the mute and the upper screw made palm muting a major PITA so I just unscrewed it all the way out.