My new rig.......and question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Milo Desmond, Oct 27, 2002.

1. Milo Desmond

Milo Desmond Guest

Oct 13, 2002
    Salt Lake City
    Hey there all.

Got a brand new rig yesterday. For months I had been price checking, researching, and trying to go about shopping the correct way. Then.... it happened.

I went to GC to A/B a couple of models I was looking for. All the research and shopping around went out the window when I walked in. SWR Megoliath for $600, and an SWR Bass 750 for $500!!! I didn't think I would be able to afford a decent SWR rig for my budget (about $1750) , but lo and behold, the gear Gods decided to smile down on me.

Anyways, now I have a question or two for those of you who may be more experienced. I played a short set last night with my band, and discovered that the cones in the Megoliath react quite differently than the aluminum cones in my old Hartke rig. Namely, they seem to pick up more detail, (of course) but seem to react a bit more slowly. Anyone else notice this?

Also, the head has a parametric eq, while I am used to graphic. It has bass and treble controls, and also a frequency based mid control. (i.e. one knob to set the mid frequency and one to boost or cut.) My question is, what is the best way of going about adjusting the mid. Should I leave the boost flat and adjust the range first, or vice versa?

Thanks for any help

2. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    If you leave the boost flat you won't hear what frequency you're targeting. Generally what I do is crank the boost all the way up and then sweep the frequncy control as I play. When I find a frequency range that is particularly snarky, I cut until I'm happy. Conversely you can look for a sweet spot and boost that instead.

Regarding the speakers, if the Megoliath is new, it might take a bit for the speakers to break in. Also, as you pointed out, it is not a Hartke cab so the differences in response are part of the game.

BTW, nice socre, sounds like a nice rig.