Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my new rig and running the tuner (help)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ahhhson, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Ahhhson

Ahhhson Guest

Jun 5, 2003
    ALBANY NY 518
    Hey. My new rig is going to consist of a qsc power amp and the sansamp rbi. I have a sabine rack tuner but would hate to have to unplug out of my pre into the tuner mid-set (or song) ever time to tune. Im used to patching the amp to the tuner and then plugging right into the tuner. With a power amp, is there a way to patch the RBI to the tuner so that i can plug into the tuner when i play with the sound unchanged and use my tuner this way w/o unplugging?
    Thanks in advance

P.S. The tuner has an "amp" input on the back...thats where im looking, im unfamiliar with the rear of the RBI....

2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Use the effects loop of your preamp. There are a couple different configurations you could use depending on how you want it to work. If you want to keep the tuner out of the signal chain just take a line out from the effects send into the input on the tuner. This way the tuner will always get a signal, but you won't be able to use the mute function of the tuner. I beleive the RBI has a mute footswitch, so that should work.

If you want to use the mute function on the tuner connect the output from the tuner into the effects return of the RBI. Some people say having the tuner in the signal path degrades the sound, but with my Korg DTR-1 I can't tell any difference.

3. Ahhhson

Ahhhson Guest

Jun 5, 2003
    ALBANY NY 518
    So basically

If i want to use mute on the tuner go from the "amplifier input" in the back to the effects return.

If i dont want to interfere with the signal and have no mute go to the send?

Theres no effects loop on my tuner, it just has an instrument input and an amp input on the front and the same thing in the back....

4. Nope.

Take the "Effects Send" from the RBI and plug it into the tuner input. Take the "amplifier output" from the tuner and plug it into the "Effects Return" on the RBI. That's how you put something into the effects loop.

Mike

5. Ahhhson

Ahhhson Guest

Jun 5, 2003
    ALBANY NY 518
    wow im gonna end up with like 10 cables

6. Not quite as "plug and play" as a combo amp, that's for sure! You'll want to buy a rack, too, if you don't have one already--hauling a pile of individual rack-mount units around and plugging and unplugging them is no fun.

Mike

7. Ahhhson

Ahhhson Guest

Jun 5, 2003
    ALBANY NY 518
    Thank you for the help

Yea i have rack, and a conditioner so most of my cables stay put, its still a little chaotic back there though, haha

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    here is my advice, seeing as how i just got a sabine rack tuner as well, and found the perfect way to do it.

i've had a Raven Labs MDB-01 for a while. one of its nifty features is its own blendable effects loop. so what i do is stick the tuner into the 'fx out' of the MDB and have the blend set to full dry so it doesn't matter that i don't have a return signal. plus, the MDB has a mute button on it that only mutes the line out - letting you tune in silence.

Sabine is an ok tuner company, but nothing i'd want part of my signal chain. this setup allows for total isolation of the tuner. plus the MDB is just plain COOL :cool: IMO, everyone with more than one bass and effects that need to go before the DI, and hates unplugging on stage, NEEDS THIS BOX.

9. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    take one of the 1/4" outputs from the RBI, probably the "uneffected" and plug it into the back of your tuner. that will be a constant level output for your tuner. plug the "sansamp" output into your power amp. It doesn't seem necessary to chain GTR>RBI>TUNER>AMP>CAB

you should be able to do GTR>RBI>AMP>CAB and also RBI>Tuner

4 cables including gtr and one speaker cable.