Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new rig... coming soon to a concert near you!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gabu, Dec 12, 2002.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hi guys,

My christmas gift to myself is almost all here!

So far I have:

[​IMG]

So I have my SKB 4, QSC 850, Sabine 7000, and my Ampeg SVP will be here tomorrow. Then my Ampeg SVT400T becomes my backup amp... and I will be pushing 850w into my new compact Avatar stack. :D

Life is good!!

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    :eek:

that's REAL close to what i'll be running soon:

SKB 6 space <-need to get
    furman power conditioner <-need to get
    cheapest rack tuner i can buy <-need to get
    SWR IOD
    Raven Labs MDB1
    Bellari LA120 Compressor
    Carvin DCM1000

(or my SWR Goliath Sr for big gigs :) )

do you play 5 string? how would you compare the low B on the 112 to the low b with both the cabs? big difference?

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I haven't played the 112 by itself yet. But I will do that tomorrow. I need to make some better recordings anyways. :D

Tonight however.... Trans-Siberian Orchestra, here I come! :p

4. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Two words: jui cy.

Looks sweet, man.

5. nice. glad to see yet another TB'er discovering the joys of a rig with 2 compact cabs. :)

6. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Yo Gabu. Nice Rig:) You have a P.M.

7. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    got my svp pro today too (i couldn't wait any longer) and my avatar 115 will be here on next friday. i'll let you know how it sounds tomorrow...

8. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    warm, creamy and deep!!! (sounds perverse, i know i know) :rolleyes: but finally i have the tone that i want!!! god bless ampeg! :D

9. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hi guys.

I haven't had the time to record yet. But it has a great, buttery tone that just sings to me. :D It's also very loud. I imagine that I will not have any volume issues with this rig at all.

As nice as this tone is, I haven't even begun to explore the possibilities yet!! This is just everything flat, with all knobs at 50% on the preamp (except master, which is 25%, and gain which I am adjusting until a pluck on the E string just causes a faint flicker of the clip led), 75% on the QSC power amp, and all controls dimed on the basses (so far a Fender Jazz Deluxe, 75 reissue Jazz, and a standard Fender P).

One thing that bugs me is I get a rattle if I play the open A, or 5fret E.... with the rack setup on top of the cabs. I guess the vibration hits the rack just right, and it is audible.

Another thing that I don't like is the horn seems to make an audible hiss when turned up. For now I am leaving it off, until I can talk to Dave about it. I am honestly not real familiar with horns, but I don't remember my Carvin RC210 hissing like that.

But all in all I am very happy! This setup is awesome. It's loud, portable, and sounds great. I am guessing that with a little more experimentation this setup will talk to God. :D

Sound Files will come along asap... This are just a bit to crazy right now.

10. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    I have the same problem with the B410. I'ts the foster horn, they do that. I also had the same problem with my SWR rig and my Carvin RC210 (altho the Carvin didn't hiss quite as much).

11. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Here are some sound files of a little fingerstyle doodle. The first is on the Avatar 15c, and the second is the 12. Sorry for the sloppiness.... :D

http://www.inet1.org/ava15c.mp3

http://www.inet1.org/ava12h.mp3

I played the doodle with a MIJ Fender Jazz. strung with flats, all knobs dimed. Ampeg SVP with EQ flat, QSC 850 Bridged, MICed with a Sure SM57, directly in front of one or the other, but both being played. (so there is probably some bleed)

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Looks great, G... congrats. Maybe we could meet (Kansas is about halfway) and do a comparison;)

13. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Thanks! That would be cool. :D As a compomise, let's push it a bit North to Wisconsin. Then I have a pal who could put us up while we jam.

He fires up a great BBQ too! ;)

Say, I have a weird idea.... Supposing we were to each record a little riff, through a direct box, all EQ flat... just the pure naked bass. We could send that riff to each other by CD or MP3, and play the recording through our cabs. Then we record that with a couple of good MICs and see how the riffs sound in each other's rigs.

14. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    do you have any basses with rounds that you could do a recording of the whole rig? preferably playing over the bridge pickup?

:D

you'd be my hero ;)

15. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I have halfwounds on a Precision, Jazz, or Steiberger Spirit. If I come across a sale on some roundwounds, I will pick 'em up... ;)

But in the meanwhile, did you care for any of what I have?

16. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    sounded very cool, you've got some great tone happening man. very rubbery and vintagey, and the 112 had a nice extra clank with the horn. actually sounded kinda like my amp bh260 + 112 + upright.

the 15 didn't have as much bite as i'd like in my rig, but i also need to be able to hit low B (and low A now...) on a safe, loud basis....so i'm thinking i should probably get the 15 to go along my 112 even though i may not 100% like how it sounds. if it prevents me from having to dig my senior out from the back of phat's equipment van when the metal band i just joined has a gig...it's good :)