My new rig (includes BBE BMax mini review)!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by White_Knight, Apr 15, 2004.

1. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    Hello all,

Well, after several years of trying different things, I've finally put together what is - in my mind - the perfect rig for me.

For the cabinent, I am using an Ampeg BSE-115T. It provides exactly what I need as far as low end goes and the tweeter that Ampeg uses seems to be very smooth to boot, especially compared to the harsh tweeter in my SWR Workingman's 10 (though please note that I still highly reccommend the WM10).

For power, I am using an ART SLA-1 studio power amp. I bridge it into 260 watts at 8 ohms, which is usually plenty for what I am doing, especially with what ends up being several thousand watts of PA support at my disposal if need be.

And now, the newest jewel, my BBE BMax preamp. I had read favorable reviews here and elsewhere and decided to take the plunge in the hopes that this would be what I am looking for. I have to admit that what I was really hoping to own someday was an Ampeg preamp, but quite honestly, I fully intend to make this the last preamp that I buy for the next decade or so - it's that good. Dead quiet - no background noise or hiss. Very flexible tone controls - it sounds kind of cliche, but I really can't find a 'bad' tone in it. Certainly, I prefer some tones more than others, but it all sounds very musical to me. And finally, DEEP bass. The other reviews I've read said that this preamp had ridiculous amounts of bass in it and believe me, it does. Almost too much at times, in a good way. Finally, it's exceptionally warm for a solid state preamp - really, I don't even miss the tube in there when compared to some tube amps that I have played through.

To round everything out, I have my trusty Fender fretless Jazz. I'm a Fender man, through and through.

Overall, the rig sounds wonderful. Very smooth, very deep, and yet enough clarity to cut through any situation I have encountered thus far. Granted, it's not the multi-thousand dollar one billion watt rig, but it's very clean and does what's needed. In conclusion, if you are considering purchasing any of the pieces I've listed above, then from a quality standpoint alone I can reccommend them.
  2. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Yeah I love the hell out of my BMax as well
  3. andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    the bmax is amazing! i cant believe its so cheap
  4. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA