Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new rig (maybe)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brad Johnson, Sep 17, 2002.

1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've mentioned here that I've been talking to a local cabinet builder, wanted to get something that hit harder and was more efficient than my EA VL110s. I spent the afternoon at Atomic Music and while there decided to check out a custom 1-12 wedge cab built by Joey Nahas. Joey built an amazing 18/2-10/horn cab that was probably the best sounding, loudest single cab I've ever heard. One caveat: it was 175 lbs.

Back to the 1-12...it's loaded with a 400w Eminence driver, an unknown to me crossover, Eden horn, horn level control, speakon and 1/4" jacks. Rear ported. Basically similar dimensions to the Hartke kickbacks.

Sounded very nice by itself so I got the idea to try pairing it with some other speakers. I think I've found a very special combination.

I stacked it with one of the really small BagEnd 15 cabs, also rear ported. The sound coming from this pair was pretty hard to believe. The lows were huge but very controllable, the B string slammed and moved lots of air. Chest-hitting lows. Excellent mids. Airy highs. A perfect match. Played through a Peavey Firebass head at less than half volume it had room-filling sound, lots of bite and very good tone. My friend and I tried it with multiple basses and amps, a/b'd it back and forth with various cabs and it just plain sounded great.

I bought the pair.

Got them home this evening, waited a while and finally hooked them up to a/b them with my EA rig. The difference in volume is amazing. I played my MTD 635 through it and the pair are very articulate and punchy. I still love the EA sound but this stack, which is slightly taller than the EA, at less than half volume on my AMP BH-420 amp was so loud, clean and clear... I unplugged everything and came upstairs to sit down:D

I'll a/b it again under the harsh light of day but I think I may have stumbled onto something here. BTW the Nahas was new, the BagEnd used, total for both, including tax... $500.

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Sounds like a great deal Brad!.....Mmmmm new bass cabs:D

3. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I'll try and get pics up tomorrow... got the F Bass coming in too:D

It was pretty funny at the store, my buddy and I were like "***?!?"... couldn't believe what it sounded like. A couple of people asked about the price on the Nahas. I said "It "was" $xxx... I just bought it and the BE".

4. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i have been intrested in the bag end stuff too but i was just looking at the site and they said thier 15 ranges from 50-(iforget) how are you getting such good bass response? these numbers confuse the hell out of me....:(

5. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I looked up the specs too, stingrayguy. I'd like to know how this little cabinet with the hole in the back does it too, especially with specs like that. Adding the custom 12 cab complemented it so well it was almost scary.

I didn't expect much when I hooked the two of them up. I had tried the Nahas with my Yorkville 115BX, a small single 15 cab that I loaded with a cast frame EVM/ Mesa Boogie Black Shadow 400w 15 and the EV was too efficient and drowned out the 12. The BagEnd OTOH was just right.

My friend plugged in the world's heaviest Spector (solid Maple 5, weighed a ton). Started pumping the B string... it was ridiculous. Never got the Peavey amp more than a little over halfway up and this pair was louder than I've played at a gig in years. No breakup at all. He handed me the bass and I slapped on the low B and E... tight, solid, no drama... and not just loud, the tone was nice, very open sounding, the highs were there, even with the horn turned almost off. Also sounded great with a Brubaker NBS fretless 5, my Brubaker NBS Custom 5 and a MIM Jazz 5. We put it through it's paces. Also, it didn't sound like two cabs, it sounded like a single source.

This is the part where I don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Let's see if it sounds as crazy in the morning;)

6. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Wow... Brad, how much does the Nahas weigh?

I've been singing the praises of my Bag End 15 for a long time, but I got an Aguilar 410 for "big gig" volume... maybe I could replace it with a Nahas and have a much more portable and modular rig...

Hmmmmmmmmmmm... ;)

7. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I weighed it on my highly accurate home measuring device (bathroom scale... (me+cab) - (me without cab) = cab weight))

38 lbs.

8. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Wow, I should get one of those highly accurate home measuring devices. :p

Congrats on the cool rig. I hope it's even better when you listen to it in the daylight hours. :)

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Sounds cool - does it live up today?

I did a search for "nahas bass", looks like there's someone named Alex Nahas who plays bass and Chapman Stick. . .

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Joey Nahas has a local shop where he builds these cabs. I'll check with him and see if he wants me to put his info out here.The price is very reasonable, he just loves making cabs.

I got to turn it up this morning, it's the real deal. Neither cab is earth-shaking by itself (though very nice in their own way) but together... WOW.

With the pre gain on 5 and the master on 3 on my 400w amp it cranks. I just got an F Bass this morning, through this rig it was almost too sweet;)

Here are some quick pics:

[​IMG]

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    [​IMG]

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    .[​IMG]

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I'm probably going to paint the baffle board and horn black.

[​IMG]

14. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Hey Brad,

It sounds like you're already on to a good thing there, but here's my $0.02 (Canadian).
    The new EA CXL-110's I have now are a lot more efficient than the old VL-110's I used to have. They are rated at (I think) 103 dB @1W@1m. They really put out a lot more oomph per watt than the old ones. The sound has a bit more low mid punch as well.

Just a though. Now I'm going to go look at your new "F" bass. Congratulations!
    Laurence

15. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    That Nahas looks like it was designed with exactly that setup in mind! The combo looks good. So, whatcha doing with the EAs? :D (sensetivity schmensitivity, I've got a PLX3002 on the way. . .)

16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Thanks Laurence, that was what I had my eye on, either a pair of CxL-110's or a CxL-112. I'll still try to check them out but I honestly am amazed at the sound I'm getting from these two little cabs. They both move a bunch of air and both handle the low B with zero drama. If the coax EA's are this efficient and sound better... I'd probably have to quit playing. Couldn't stand the excitement;)

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    That's the big question, G:D. I don't have any gigs until the end of the month, that's the real test for me.

The sensitivity wasn't a big issue for me, I had switched over to a Hughes & Kettner BassBase 600 amp which drove them easily. I'm just surprised at how little it takes for me to get really loud with the Nahas and Bag End.

If this works out like I think it will, I may not need the EA's or the H&K.

18. is that bag end an older version of the S15-D or a different model?

19. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I think some older versions used black carpet instead of red, but everything else was the same. Brad's cab is missing the grille logo, too.

Good call. I can't tell from the pics -- does it have a grille?

20. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Yep... I have one of these. For BG, it kicks major booty if you have a brighter, faster cab to pair it with. For DB, it blows chunks.

Brad,

Let us know how your new cab compares to the EA CXL112 when you get a chance, huh?