My new rig - what more could go wrong?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jazzbo, Nov 14, 2000.

1. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Isn't great when you get new gear? You pay all that hard earned money, then you get to take it home and play your little heart out!

Okay, check this out:

I bought the Peavey Firebass II and 410 cab on 10/30. I go over all the specs with the sales guy and he assures me everything is taken care of. I make sure the cab is rated at 4 ohms, and the guy throws my gear onto a hand-truck and loads it into my truck for me. So, I drive straight from there to my gig, set up, plug in, and start fiddling around. After my (loud) drummer kicks in I realize I'm not getting as much power as I thought I would. Then, at a break, I'm checking out my stuff, and realize that the cab is an 8 ohm cab, not 4. The store's already closed so I call the next day, and the sales guy says that the 4 ohm is on order and it will be in on 11/13. Man, now I gotta wait two weeks. So I call them on 11/13, and sure enough, they got their Peavey order, but the cab was missing from the shipment. I told the guy that I needed this for gigs, and that not having it was a terrible inconvenience. He said it's going to take until 11/27 for it to come in, and that's at the earliest! That would be almost a full month from the time that I purchased it! Then he starts talking about how I could just run another 8 ohm cab into it (DUH?!), and he doesn't see why the 8 ohm isn't enough for my gigs, and that he doesn't like to run cabs at 2 ohms anyway?

What do you guys think I should do? This store should compensate me in some way for schilling out a lot of money and not getting the merchandise when I was told I would? What would be fare compensation, and what are the odds I'd get it?

Also, I don't want to run another cab right now, carrying around the 410 is enough of a monster. Is there any danger or problems with running it at 2 ohms occassionaly by adding another 4 ohm cab?

I'm really quite pissed that I have to spend so much of my personal time doing this.
  2. Laker

Mar 23, 2000
    Earlier in your post you say you made sure the cab is a 4 ohm cab and later you say you checked and it is an 8 ohm cab. I must be missing something. How did things change?

However, just about every other music store is a Peavey dealer so I would just return the stuff, if indeed you were told it was a 4 ohm cab and the dealer knew it was 8 (I believe thats called misrepresentation- Illegal) I don't think I could trust this dealer for anything else being above board.

Find another Peavey dealer and call Corporate Peavey and report this store. Hopefully you paid for this with a credit card.
  3. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Well, I was looking through the Peavey catalog, and it said the cab was available in 4 and 8 ohms, so I asked the dealer which one they had, and made sure he quoted me the price for that one. As of this point I actually hadn't looked at the back of the cab, as it was buried under a mound of a 210 cab and a couple of other heads. So I made sure with the sales rep that the one I was looking to purchase was the 4 ohm cab, and then just had them load it up for me.

Now the issue with me is when someone tells me, "Sorry there's nothing I can do?" This store deals in customer service, just like all retail establishments. Their interest should be in making sure I'm satisfied. As I need the rig for my gigs, I'm at a disadvantage, as I didn't get what I was told I would.

Incidentally, the paperwork that they gave me with the cab clearly says the cab is 4 ohms. They simply gave me the wrong cab, and since they don't have the right one in the store, are giving me the run around.
  4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Get a complete refund.
  5. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Surely not for the head as well. You speak of only the cab, correct?
  6. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    I agree with Brad. And be sure, to make it clear to them WHY you want a refund. There is NO excuse for their behavior.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree as well.

Full refund, and make it very clear to the management that they lost this $1000(or so) sale as well as potential thousands of dollars from you and working stiffs who will learn by word of mouth(from YOU) that this store is not one to do business with, because they are dishonest and bait & switch.

And report them to Peavey. Peavey does not put up with this kind of $h¡t from their dealers.

[Edited by embellisher on 11-14-2000 at 09:20 PM]
  8. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Be very calm and bussines like when you return the incorrect cabinet. If there is even a hint of a problem ask to speak with the manager/owner. At this point start taking notes with names dates and time. Make a copy of your recipt. Ask the manager to have the correct cabinet shipped overnight or a complet refund. You paid for this in good faith. If the manager refuses ask them to call the manufacture while your there. If they refuse you drop the dime. The manufacturer is usually on your side. Again be calm and polite when describing the missrepresentation by the dealer.

It's OK to let us know who the dealer is if this doesn't work out for you.
  9. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    As stated above, be sure to complain to Peavey's customer service (via e-mail may be most effective) and specify the dealership and the salesman that you're unhappy with.
    Also, because the cabinet you were given does not match your sales slip, you have every right to return at least the cab, if not the entire rig, for a full refund, no matter what the return policies of the store are.
    When you contact Peavey (and I hope you do), after your done ranting :D, ask if there is anything they can do to make you a satisfied customer. Peavey prides themselves on cusomer service because they don't deal with large chain stores or mail-order dealers. Good luck! :)
  10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I mean a "complete" refund. Apparently this shop doesn't take you, your time or your hard earned money seriously. The advice on how to calmly deal with this is sound (and critical, too), IMO... If you want to give it one more shot, have them overnight a correct cabinet in, at their cost or rent you the same cabinet or one of equal or greater quality in the same ohmage immediately to be kept until the right cabinet comes in or... They can get a Peavey cab from another Peavey dealer, they just don't want to pay for it... but you already did. What's wrong with that picture?:D

Take your money elsewhere. You've given them ample time to make you whole. They're messing with your money, go elsewhere. If you're near a large city that shouldn't be a problem. If not...road trip, or the internet. There are dealers who sell Peavey through the mail. Or ask here at TB where you could go, based on where you live. You have a worldwide network of bassists at your disposal here, some of whom even know what they're doing;)

They are costing "you" money! Is that why you bought a rig from them? Do you want to carry more cabinets to make up for their screw up? Is the salesman playing "your" gigs, because if he's not, it makes no difference what "he" likes to use on his gigs? Remember, this is all about you.

There is one very simple reason why shops get away with this stuff...people let them. The trick is to say what you mean and mean what you say. No idle threats, no crying, just calmly lay down your position and go from there. If you don't get satisfaction from them, believe it or not you have remedies. We can get into that if you want.

They don't have a leg to stand on; they misrepresented what they sold you. Case closed.
  11. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I just spoke with another Peavey dealer in my area. (Up to this point I've been dealing with Spitzer's Music, I just called Haight-Ashbury Music in SF), and they quoted me a price that's $40 cheaper. Nice.

They may have to order the cab too, because it looks like the one they have is an older model. I think they have the 410 TX, not TVX. Anybody know the difference. Also, it looks like they have the Firebass I, not II, like I have now. Is the difference between the two only cosmetic? I'm going in to see what they have on Friday, and I'll go in and talk to the guys at Spitzer's tomorrow and see what's going on.
  12. Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    GO GET YO MONEY MAN LIKE YESTERDAY.oops sorry did'nt mean to yell but they ain't cool MAN.
  13. What more can go wrong?
    now there is a funny question.
    starting today, start keeping a list of things that have gone wrong. i will email you for the list in a couple of years
  14. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I had a similar situation occure with me at Sam Ash music in Clearwater Florida, granted it was'nt as major a purchase as a head and cab, mine was only for a mic..I went in to buy a sure sm48-lc mic one day, and they gave me the wrong sm48. only difference was the one they gave me didnt have an on/off switch. But I wanted what I paid for. I brought the mic back that very same day and they told me theyd have to order one for me from their warehouse in NY and told me it would take a couple of weeks. I told them this was totally unacceptable and wanted a refund. As luck has it they have a non refundable policy on mics. I simply called sure the next day, complained about what happend, and got my money back. It took a while but I got my refund, then went to a smaller chain and got the mic that I originally wanted for the same price. Moral of story its your money, dont let them jerk you around, and definatly contact Peavey about this entire ordeal that your going thru, if they are like Sure, they wont put up with that crap one bit.
  15. If you want to deal with a TOP NOTCH dealer in the SF Bay Area who sells Peavey, get your butt down to Gelb Music on El Camino in Redwood City and deal with the bass guy there, "Ed".

Ed and Gelb are by far the best music store operation I have EVER dealt with.

16. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    I second Michaeln but be forwarnd Gelb has some of the nicest basses in the area and you may leave with a major life change.
  17. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I agree with Brad...but, if they don't want to refund your money, you have every right to hire an attorney. And, there's a good chance you'd win! :D
  18. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    And the story goes on...

By they way, if anybody lives in the Bay Area, I'm talking about the Spitzer's Music in Concord, and the Music Unlimited in Dublin!

This is Wednesday, 11/15, by the way.

I take the head and cab, load it into my truck (no small feat mind you!), take all original paperwork, the receipt, and the speaker cable they gave men, and drive on down to the store. I walk in and explain the situation. I'm armed with the confidence and support of my talkbass friends. Aw yeah!

This character goes on and on about how they have a no-refund policy, and that he can't make the decision. I respectfully tell him that I respect that he can't make that decision, that he needs to get me the person who can. He tells me, "No problem, I'll bring him out and you can explain it to him." Okay, first problem. Rule of good customer service, don't make the customer repeat the situation to multiple people/departments. It now becomes that person's responsibility to relay my feelings to the best of his understanding, to his manager.

Okay, so Spencer, the VP, comes out. I politely explain exactly what I would like to do. I tell him that this situation has surpassed an unacceptable level, and that I am comfortable at this time simply ending this attempted transaction, shaking hands, and parting ways. I tell him that I will hold no grudges, and am only interested in receiving the accurate equipment within a reasonable timeframe. I remind him that I am the one that is experiencing an inconvenience, am paying a considerable amount of money for a product I have not yet received, and furthermore, am not comfortable being in the possession of what is really a “loner” cab. Thank you for your time, here’s your paperwork, let’s get the show on the road, I expect the credit back to my credit card within the standard 3-5 business timeframe.

“I’m sorry, we have a no-refund policy.”

“As I understand. I’m sure under this circumstance you would understand why I’m asking for a refund. Had I received the correct equipment I would have no qualms. I take full responsibility for understanding what equipment I intended to purchase, and had I received that, would be happy with your customer service. However, for whatever reason, you do not give me what I paid for, and when I gave you a chance to correct it, you failed to deliver the proper cabinet in the right amount of time. I have found the equipment for a better deal, at a store that can have it for me by tomorrow. They will get my business.”

“Well, that was Peavey – “

“But that’s irrelevant to me. I don’t care who is to blame. What matters to me is the end result. Did I get what I paid for? No. Did you make the correction within the timeframe you assured me it would be done? No. Have you offered an expedited resolution with compensation? No. That is what makes good customer service. I understand that companies make mistakes. I can accept that. What matters to me, is how a company corrects that mistake. As a retail establishment, I’m sure that you’d agree that you are in the business of customer service first, and music equipment and services second. That being said, the level of customer service I have received has been abominal. Phone calls that were promised to me, never occurred. Equipment that was assured to be received, never was.”

“You see, we don’t do refunds.”

“Is that your store’s policy?”

“Okay, your store wrote the policy, therefore, your store can rewrite the policy. I’m not naïve sir, I understand that you can bend or break any policy whenever the situation fits. This situation most definitely fits that criteria.”

“I’m not in a position to do that.”

“That’s fine. I’d like to talk to your superior.”

“He’s out of the country.”

“Then I will talk with his equal, or superior.”

“He doesn’t have one.”

“So, in other words, your boss is the CEO or president or owner of this company?”

“That’s correct.”

“And that would make you second in line.”

“That’s correct.”

“So, in his absence, he has not given you the power to make such decisions?”

So, we talked for awhile longer. I explained to him that not accepting a refund when he was obviously at fault was highly unethical. Furthermore, it seemed there stance was largely to prevent me from shopping at other stores, a legal right, and was accepting of a philosophy that once they “unload some equipment” they could care less about the customer’s best interest.

Finally, he said he would accept the cabinet as a return and provide me a refund. I told him that he not only did he know very well that that would be pointless, as purchasing the head and cab together is what produces the bargain, and one without the other might wind up costing me more, but also that I continued to ask him throughout the conversation whether a refund was something they cannot do, simply impossible, or would not do, subjective. He had said it was something they could not do. So now, I said, you are contradicting yourself. You said not 10 minutes ago that it was impossible to return anything, now your saying you can?

We went back and forth for awhile. Here’s what we agreed upon. He was to scour all Peavey dealers in the area on 11/16 to find the cab. He would get it, and then deliver it to my house, and take back the 8 ohm cab at that time. In addition, they would match the price that Music Unlimited offered me, processing a refund for the difference. I was assured I would be called back the next day.

I wasn’t.

So I called back before they closed. It turns out they had found it, and sent someone to pick it up, but he wouldn’t be back in time to deliver 11/16. I just spoke with them now, and they will be delivering it at 5pm today, and processing the refund. I, work in SF and live in a suburb (an hour and a half commute), and won’t actually be there for it. So my roommate will be responsible (really good guy) for ensuring they don’t screw up again. I’ll let you all know how it works out.
  19. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    If anybody would like me to post the letter I wrote to Peavey, and cc'd to Spitzers management, let me know. I'll be more than happy to post it.
  20. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Jazzbo -

I'd like you to post it, and also any responses you recieve from the dealer in question and especially Peavey. Man, what an ordeal, really sucks that people in the "customer service" business don't have a clue sometimes....