Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new rig - Yorkville Bloc 250B + Yorkville 210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Velkov, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    I did it! I went to Long and McQuade, traded in my Yorkville 100 and got a Yorkville 2x10 cabinet. Then I went to the pawn shop and bought the Bloc 250B head.

I am loving it so far. It doesn't sound as good as the Eden I plugged the cab into at the store but it's pretty decent. Considering it only cost me $175 Canadian ($120 American) it's an amazing amp. It's got enough controls to keep me busy for a couple of weeks before I figure out what the best settings are. It's got tons of volume. And plugged into the Yorkville 2x10 it's PUNNNNNNCHY! The other thing that I like is that the whole rig is two feet tall but it makes some serious noise. I tried the head at the store through a Peavey 15" cabinet and it sounded ok. But the 10" speakers really make it shine.

Here's a little more detail about the head: two inputs with individual gain, sustain control (still don't know what it does), fully parametric EQ, plus lows, mids, high-mids, highs EQ controls. 250W RMS into 4 ohms, 175W into 8 ohms. It is the first Yorkville Sound product that doesn't have the Traynor brand name on it. Don't know why the company decided to drop the traynor name. It is loud, and for the money I paid for it it is amazing. So if you're on a budget and don't feel that you need or deserve Eden quality, look for one of these. You won't regret it.

The only problem now is that I decided to come to work and I'm too excited to do work. I should take the rest of the day off and go home and bring the walls down.

2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Congratulations! :)

Yes, you must leave work now. :D

3. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Dude,

Congratulations! Yorkville makes the best stuff! I'm curious as to why you went for the Bloc 250 however...did you try the BM400? In anycase, with Yorkville, you cannot go wrong. I don't know why more people don't use their stuff! I personally use a BM400 combo and a BC210 cabinet, and I think it sounds as good as or better than an Ampeg or Eden rig, and it definitely rocks Fender Bassman amps! Have fun with it guy!

Just out of curiousity, which Long and McQuade do you deal with?

4. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    I got the Bloc 250B because I found one for $175. A used BM400 would have been around $400. That way my whole rig cost me my old combo + $400 which wasn't bad at all. If I had gone the BM400 route I would have spend money I don't have. This way, I took the money I was saving for an Ashdown Electric Blue combo and bought something a lot louder and more powerful.

Another reason I chose the Bloc 250B is because, I played through a 15" combo version of that amp all winter because somebody left his at my drummer's house. I liked everything but the speaker. So, when I saw the head selling for $175 I had to get it.

I did the trade-in at the L&M in North York. But usually I go to the one on Bloor street, although the closes one to my house is the Scarborough one. I guess I like driving around too much. :)

I agree that Yorkville beats Fender Bassman. But Eden? I don't think so. I tried an Eden at the store when I got the cabinet and I couldn't dial a sound I didn't like. I would say Yorkville stuff is comparable to the SWR Workingman's stuff - decent sounding and reliable. But it's cheaper, so it's better. ;)

5. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I work in the Credit Department at the new Burlington Long & McQuade. Glad you found a rig that works well, and again, you can't go wrong with Yorkville! More bang for the buck, for sure! Enjoy the rig!

6. he, velkov!
    now you seem to be a little yorkville expert, now i have a question for you :oops:) : if you had the opportunity to buy a yorkville 250B bass head with a mesa boogie 2 * 15'' for about 400 USD, would you buy it?
    greets, hope you're able to work again :oops:)
    toetsi

7. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    That actually sounds like a pretty good deal! But what other cabs have you looked at? SWR and Audiophile (Ernie Ball/Musicman) make some pretty sweet sounding cabs as well...but the Mesa Boogie set up sounds sweet!

8. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    $400 USD for a Bloc 250B and a Mesa Boogie 2x15! Wow, that's less than what I paid for my head and the Yorkville 2x10. :) It does sound like a good deal. I am not a fan of 15" speakers and that's a personal thing. But if you like them, and if the Mesa Boogie cab sounds good to you, then go for it. The cab is probably worth around $300 by itself. So you're getting the head for $100. $100 for a Bloc 250B is amazing. I mean, you're paying almost nothing for a head that has enough power and controls to keep you happy for a few years.

9. Matt Novosedlik

Matt Novosedlik

Jan 12, 2013
    I am mulling over a deal right now I currently am using a Yamaha B 100 115 (mid 1980's) and Im finding its waaaaay too big and not as loud as I would like, I have found a yorkville Bloc 250B head with a 1 15" box $250 for the whole thing, she sounds great and pounds for when I can get up north to jam with my brother, what do you guys think of the price $250??

10. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk Supporting Member

May 8, 2007
    GTA Ontario Canada
    Wow. This is an old thread. I had a 250B as my first amp! They're solid amps. It's pretty hard to find any amp and cab for under $300. I think the price is reasonable but you could offer less and it shouldn't offend him. That amp was made in the mid 80's. With nearly 30 years behind it, the capacitors may have started drifting and repair may in the near future depending how often it was used and how hard it was driven. Heat will accelerate the drying out of capacitors. Those amps were built extremely well though.

11. Matt Novosedlik

Matt Novosedlik

Jan 12, 2013
    How would I know if the capacitors are goig in the amp what symptoms do i look for?? Oh by the way I did buy the the Yorkville 250B and got my Yamaha sold! And where could I find a user manual for it pdf version on the internet??

12. MuthaFunk

May 8, 2007
    GTA Ontario Canada
    Typically the background noise floor will increase some but not always. The caps could cause your EQ points to be altered from the factory settings. You might hear 60Hz line frequency in the speaker or preamp out. There's no true way to know without a qualified tech to check it out.

13. Matt Novosedlik

Matt Novosedlik

Jan 12, 2013
    Ok sweet thanks for all the info, I am loving this Amp so far I love the sound range and the total difference in the size and conveinience of the amp compared to my old Yamaha B100 115, Aso I love the power increase, so far it seems to be perfect for me, had her about a week and a half now been playing it everyday no issues yet, but there is Long and Mcquiaid to service it when it gets too noisy! Thanks again I appreciate all the info and help I can get!

14. MuthaFunk

May 8, 2007
    GTA Ontario Canada
    IIRC there's a great full parametric EQ on that head. If you're not familiar with all the functions of a full parametric EQ, that head is a great teaching device. The faceplate has those pics to help understand how it all works.