Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my new rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by `ash, Aug 20, 2004.

1. `ash

`ash

Feb 26, 2004
    Melbourne
    Last saturday i purchased the rig that i had been hanging out for, for a long time now.
    I went to the Bass Centre in South Melbourne and tried out the whole Lab Systems range. A big thanks goes out to the very patient and helpful Michael Foley who endured my constant demands of "hmm ok, how about those two now?"
    I tried the 6x10, as well a numerous combinations of cabinets including the 4x10HP, 2x12, 2x10 and 15. The 6x10 was out of the running because of its size and weight. The fact that it sounded awesome didnt make things any easier. The 4x10HP was a bit pricey, so it was down to the 2x12 and either a 15 or 2x10.
    The 2x12 and 15 together sounded amazing. Big and full without being overwhelming, it was such a suprise and something to consider for next time. I was very very tempted to Ok the deal but in the end went for the 2x10 and 2x12.
    Im still very happy nonetheless. I can even get the iAmp, bass and 2x10 into my MGb :hyper:

2. Nice man! What kind of cabs are those? Looks very good!

3. `ash

`ash

Feb 26, 2004
    Melbourne
    Lab Systems. Australian made.

4. Very nice. Lets hear some sound clips :)

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Australians are weird :bassist:

6. `ash

`ash

Feb 26, 2004
    Melbourne
    i'll try to get some clips happening soon

7. hey, i have got a lab systems rig, i have the 410 hp, running off a phonic max 2500 and using a lab systems rack mount valve pre amp...
    i can say lab systems make damn good speaker cab's... they are fairly pricey and heavy (410 hp)... but damn they sound so good, play low too..i think they are sposed to play down to like 35 hz, for the 410.. ampegs only play down to 50ish i think???
    but yeah good rig

8. Heya Ash,

NIce grab on those amps.

what do they sound like?

9. `ash

`ash

Feb 26, 2004
    Melbourne
    How is the Lab Preamp? It was 2nd choice for a long time and i would've got one, but i couldn't go past the iAmp. It was a steal.

The cabs sounds good. Damn good. You hear them, and you just know. *nods*

10. yeah i am happy enough with it..although it would be nice if it had some more features, and a hotter output...
    it only has the basic four band eq with switches for bass boost, mid shape, mid shift and high boost...would be nice if it had a graphic eq as well.. or something..as its quite expensive i think also
    wat did your amp cost you?? and wat features does it have?

11. Labs are amazing - had a very tough decision when i tried them and my ashdown, but the ash won out!

12. xcentral, we may be weird in australia, but look in your back yard - what's with Heartley Peavey?????

13. `ash

`ash

Feb 26, 2004
    Melbourne
    its works down to a 2ohm load; built in tuner; aux input; quiate an extensive eq section; 4 pre-sets; eq by-pass; headphone out; and all the stuff that is found on most other amps effects, DI, input levels etc etc

the issue of the output level is what turned me off... but it was the Hi/Low outs that turned me on

14. yeha thats pretty good lad...
    my lab systems valve pre amp (VP5).. was rrp of i think $1395.. its got a tuner out, the 4 band eq, with 4 switches..and yeah the bi-amp out puts will be good i think when i get a chance to run bi-amp...although the lab systems 410 plays lower than some 15's i have heard so i don't know if its worth trying to bi amp it.. i will set the cross over point fairly low like even as low as 100 hz or something
    but sometimes i almost regret buying the vp5, just cause of its lack of features..but sometimes simpler is better i dunno

i made the other cab the same size as my lab systems 410, so i could stack them, but not long after building the cab i burnt the voice coil out in the 15 that was in it..but i am now keen to get another driver to go in the cab, either 15 or 18, as long as i can get a nice low response out of the 130 litre cab..
    if i get a 4ohm driver for that cab then i can run 750 watts rms into it crossed over, and 500 watts rms into the lab systems 410 (running it crossed over i think will help make the 500 watts go a but further too, as wont be clipping on the lower notes??)
    but yeah i do think lab systems gear is good stuff, and hell its all built in melbourne.. i see a lot more bands are using lab stuff too now

15. `ash

`ash

Feb 26, 2004
    Melbourne
    its good to support local product whenever possible

16. bump.

17. i have heard some ppl say they sound like gallien krugar.. i am not sure
    i would say that have a pretty natural sound with the valve kinda warmth, and a pretty good punch..
    but i have never played through a proper ampeg, GK or mesa rig to compair it to so