Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My New Rig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Freakapotamus9, Aug 5, 2001.

1. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    ok so its not mine yet but i want to know what you guys think. im going to Kansas City to get my rig in a few months ( so happy :) ) and i wanna know what you guys think. ive got an SWR WM15 and i am going to upgrade to a mesa boogie 4x10. im going to run the 4x10 out of the SWR until i can get an amp. i had made up my mind on the head i was going to get but now im questioning myself again. i was set on an ampeg svt3pro,until i saw the power amps in the carvin mag i got. are carvins any good ??? i saw the price and i thought, " ya know i could get me one of those and buy an svp pro or something and save a lot " what do you think i should do???
    i guess my main question is if carvin power amps are any good, and if not what should i get?. **on a budget** ( wait i dont really have a job :D )

2. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    why not get an Ampeg 8x10? IME, Ampeg is cheaper than Mesa and you get 2x more speakers and RMS power handling. Plus, theres nothing cooler looking than an Ampeg 8x10 onstage... unless your SWR workingman cant handle a 4ohm cab. But you can wait for a new amp anyway, right?

3. leper

leper

Jun 21, 2001
    well, imo mesa sounds about 4 thousand times better than ampeg, and looks shouldnt really be a concern (and even if it were, i dont think theres anything terribly cool looking about the ampeg rig)

that is all imho, of course

4. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Although I have little experience with the Carvin power amps, I do know that it's tough to beat Carvin's watts per dollar ratio -- both in power amps and in speakers. I still swear by my Carvin PB-500 bass head, but it is not the same as the newer versions of power amps that they now sell.

There was a "shootout" (head-to-head comparison) of a bunch of power amps in the Nov '97 issue of Bass Player mag. You'll have to find the issue -- the article does not appear to be online at the website ( www.bassplayer.com ). Can't remember if Carvin was represented.

I also think if you can afford it that it's better to go preamp + power amp, because you can always change the preamp later.

Good luck, and let us know how it comes out...

5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Carvin´s are great.
    I have tried them as bass amps and PA amps for a Bose 802 System.
    It pushed serious power. (DCM1000)

And it has a very flat response, so no much coloration is present.

6. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    thanks for all the replies guys, keep em comin. ive tried the ampeg 8x10, and liked it. BUT, id rather get a 4x10 now and then get a 15" or 18" cab later on. see the mesa 4x10 is 600watts @ 8ohms. i can get the 15", which i think is rated at 400watts @ 8ohms. so the end result would be 1000watts @ 4 ohms. and if i understand right the DCM can push 1000watts at 4 ohms. so itd all work out perfect. i know mesa is more expensive than ampeg, but im willing to pay more for the sound it will give me. oh and the WM cant handle a 4ohm load ( 8 ohm min )
    besides, it would look pretty stupid next to an 8x10 :p :D. im only 14 right now and this will be a pretty impressive setup for my age. i dont need it all right now, but did you need your sadowskies and pedullas when you bought them?? i would bet not, besides, too much bass stuff is never enough, am i right? thanks guys

P.S.
    ive only been on TB for a few monthes, but i would hands down say this is the best thing on the internet. i love it here. you guys are great!
    Sam

7. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    No.

8. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    do you need that much power? I'm 14 and i don't need nearly that much power. How many large venues are you playing at? To me, i think it would make more sense to buy a great sounding combo.

9. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    OK, time to be careful here. If you are going to biamp, you have to consider each SIDE of the DCM as a separate power amp, each running into a separate 8-ohm speaker.

Of course, if you are going to bridge mono, then your calculations are correct! But you'll be sending the same signal to both cabs... of course, if you need 1000 watts, I guess you need 1000 watts.

And as far as whether anyone really needs that much power at the age of 14, I would say that the preamp/amp plus the M-B 410 600-watt rig would get you through darn near ANY bass playing situation, and when you get to that outdoor stadium gig where you REALLY need it, you pull out (or go buy) the 115 and you're set. Headroom is NOT a bad thing.

And hey, it'll get you started on a lifetime of GAS...

10. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    do i need this much power right now? no. would i ever have to buy another amp? no way. i just assume get this stuff now instead of blowing it on video games or something like many kids my age do. its not like this stuff wouldnt get used or anything. im in a band, in school band, in jazz bands, and im taking lessons so i can get involved in more stuff. oh i have a gig in 2 weeks if anybodys gonna be in nebrasky :D

11. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Do it..
    But in my experience.. I DONT LIKE MESA BOOGIE BASS CABS!!!!
    :D
    The only one I liked was a 2x15 Paired with a 4x 5" Hartke (yes,, 4 x5" High Frequency Drivers)
    And the Mesa´s are huge.

12. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i guess you have a point, but for me, it would be a pain in the ass to lug all that crap around. I'm fine with my 160 watt 115 combo (which is extremely underated). If i were in your situation, i probably would get an other bass. :D i'd go out and try to find a pre-cbs jazz with a refinish for a couple grand. But that is just me.

BTW, i wouldn't let go of the SWR combo, it would come in handy to small to medium-size gigs. My opinion is that you don't need a huge stack unless you're opening for Motorhead.

13. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I'm with you. Go get the 4x10 and the DCM.

And I also agree with PofT that, if it is a financial possibility, you should consider keeping the SWR for rehearsals and jazz band and coffehouses where the 1000-watt rig just plain won't fit on the stage... you'd be surprised at how quickly you get tired of making 3 trips to the car. There's a lot to be said for being able to carry everything in two hands.

14. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    yeah about that, im really considering getting the 4x10 now, and running it through the SWR. then get the DCM and preamp next year. course next year ill have to start saving for ....... a .... car :eek:

15. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    A common mistake. Trust me, as time goes on and you actually need a lot of power, you will have more money and will be attracted to new and different equipment. Especially for a relative newbie, you entire set of gear and tone preferences can change within a matter of months.