Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MY new rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RockStar571, Nov 24, 2002.

1. i just bought a sunn 1200 on ebay and i'm in the process of buying cabs for it. i'm going all 10s should i go with an 8x10 or two 4x10s? and what should the impedance of the cab(s) be?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sunn 1200? Don't those have a ton of power? Lordy. Anyway, two 410's if you must. It gives you more options. Get 8-ohm cabs, so when you run them both, you're at 4 ohms. Even with just one cab, you'll still have plenty of power from that beast.

3. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i think that sunn is stable at 2 ohms so you could do 2 4 ohm 410's and get the full 1200 watts.

4. that is what i was thinking...just suppose i needed to hear it from someone else ;)

5. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Another vote for dual 4x10s.

6. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    just because the sunn is capable of running it at 2ohms doesn't mean you should.. alot of amps say they can.. but some people have had problems running their amps at 2ohms...

I will agree with munji here and say go with 2 8ohm cabs.. Thats what I have done.. except i only have one 8ohm cab at the moment..

7. dsmith

dsmith

Mar 29, 2001
    Mt. Vernon, KY
    Munji is right, 2 8 ohm 410's is my vote. You probably will not see that much of a difference by running 2-4 ohm cabs, and your amp will be working twice as hard.