1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My new Rob Allen mb-2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by arizonabass, Apr 24, 2006.

1. arizonabass

arizonabass

Feb 6, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    DSCN04801.JPG Received April 4. What an amazing sound, "light as a feather," and such a well-built instrument and beautiful to the eyes. This lined fretless has the curly maple top and mahogany body - the combination that is considered pretty much standard. My '78 Jazz lasted me 25 years; I hope I live another 25 and continue to enjoy this one!

2. arizonabass

arizonabass

Feb 6, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    The back...
    DSCN0482.JPG

3. clavefa

clavefa Te Traigo El Tumbao

Congrats, very nice. is this a piezo pickup?:meh:

4. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Beautiful! I'm expecting mine in June, but I got the "other" standard config (walnut top on ash).

Enjoy your new bass :D

5. arizonabass

arizonabass

Feb 6, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Yes, it's a piezo pickup, which is apparently very different from the usual magnetics. I'm sure there are those around here who can explain the differences.

Jeff, you have something very special to look forward to! When it arrives, open the case slowly and carefully, as there is only one FIRST time you'll have to see it. ;) My eyes almost fell out of my head when I first saw mine.

6. avid

avid born lefty

Jun 22, 2005
    Ashland, Oregon USA
    I am still working on the Mrs. about ordering mine. I have been surprised as right off she usually grants blanket permission. I guess I have shown her too many TBers family photos and perhaps scared her. Really, I just want a Rob Allen MB4 to keep my Fender Am Jazz Dlx company. Okay, maybe one or two more after that. Really, all I want is a Rob Allen Deep 4 and a ...

David

7. GRoberts

GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Hey Howard! Stunning bass. Congrats! The mahogany on the back is as beautiful as the top, if not more! It really is breathtaking. So clean and elegant. How is the depth, growl, Mwah? Can't wait to hear it in person. Gary

8. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Nice! Enjoy!

9. arizonabass

arizonabass

Feb 6, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Hello, my friend! I should bring both basses over so you can hear them. Wait - maybe I shouldn't. ;-) Its tone is very deep, and even I am surprised at how "double-bassy" it can sound. It has tons of growl. (I've realized that there is a very wide range of tones among double basses.) I'm still having to use a foam mute at the bridge to cut down on the sustain, even with these Rotosound 88's. Since there is only a volume control, almost all tone changes come from the amp. Last night I found I like the amp flat with the deep switch in, as do many players who play through EA gear.

This bass requires very strict fingering on the fret lines for proper intonation, more so than on the Jazz.

I love picking it up off the stand and playing it.

10. arizonabass

arizonabass

Feb 6, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    The area of the top where your forearm might rest is sloped downward. I know my Jazz has this feature; I don't know about other basses. I had no idea this mb-2 was built this way until I got it.

index_001_006.

11. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    nice! these pics make me GAS so hard for a rob allen

-jimbo

12. pogipoints

pogipoints Custom User Title Holder

Dec 5, 2005
    Atlanta
    My mb-1 doesn't have the sloped forearm rest. Good to know the newer ones do.

Congrats on a great bass! :bassist:

13. mobis.fr

mobis.fr

Jun 2, 2005
    germany
    really nice

congrats

14. arizonabass

arizonabass

Feb 6, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    It takes some getting used to. It's not your average electric! BTW, the head slopes backward and is a separate piece of wood from the neck itself. They dovetail(?) beautifully/seamlessly into each other.

Another thing I notice is that the bass body vibrates when playing the low notes. There's apparently something extra special going on in there. ;)

15. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    You'd think for the price you would get at least one pickup, or a couple of knobs. ;)

16. GRoberts

GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Good point Turnaround! You know, come to think of it, he didn't even get a damn pickguard with the bass. How cheap is that? What a shame. :bag:

17. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Congrats on the RA! I loved the one I had and will own another one soon!

18. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

You know... I'm looking at that thing... I dont' think there's even any frets!

19. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    Looks lovely.

I showed my bandmates a song I wrote on guitar tonight and they freaked out with excitement. Then I picked up my maybelle (rob allen mb-2) and they freked out even more at the tone. They both said that it was literally the best sounding bass they've ever heard.

20. arizonabass

arizonabass

Feb 6, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Gosh, one knob, no frets, no pickguard; I wonder if I've been ripped off. :meh: I DID buy a thumbrest, though. ;) I just haven't yet installed it. Has anyone ever put one on their RA? Might I be the first?

As for the tone, my latest favorite setting with my EA iAMP 350 is flat, deep switch on, and roll back the hi control. The bass' tone control is turned all the way off, and I have a foam mute under the strings at the bridge. I'm not a big fan of sustain.