Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My New Rocco Pestia Signed Baby!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Hey all,

Check this out. I just won a brand new Conklin signed by Rocco on Ebay. This bad boy was donated by Conklin for Rocco's fund raiser. Rocco personally signed it. Hope she is a player!! I have to find a way to preserve his signature. Anybody know of a good way? I don't want to keep this in the box, I wish to use it (carefully). How can I protect his signature? Oh, link to the my new bass->

Click Me

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Try putting a clear coating of some sort of laquer over it.
    BTW, congrats!

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    that is schweet. I can hear those double popped 16th notes already !:)

4. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    sweet!!! rocco is the man!

5. Quadzilla

Thanks Woodchuck! Can anyone tell me what kind of laquer and/or how to apply it without it looking like crap? Maybe it's best that I go to a luthier. Anybody know a good one in Maryland (in live just North of Baltimore)?

Thanks!

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    John Thurston works at Appalachian Bluegrass in Catonsville; he is probably the best luthier around. Cannot remember their number but they are rigth on main st in catons ville. He could definitely hook you up !

7. Quadzilla

Thanks much Godoze!

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    John should be able to help. Kevin Brubaker could too but I know he's swamped right now. Other than that I can't think of anyone local I trust any farther than I can throw them for this type of work.

9. Quadzilla

And it's better than I thought it would be. It came setup perfectly (perhaps Rocco did it for me, j/k). I love the tone and it has TONS of sustain. You can really feel it like when you hit notes and you feel it in the body like a Fender P . No buzzed on the frets, high notes, way up or down on the neck, etc. Killer!

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    If it was me (and it's not) I'd get a clear pickgaurd. Laquering it from a pro luthier would probably run the same price as getting a cusom PG.

But that's me.

11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Very nice. I also say go with a clear finish over it.