Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new Roscoe beck 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fatsobasso, Dec 24, 2005.

1. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    I just got my roscoe beck 5 string from musicians friend,front screws on the bridge were loose,no biggie but the headstock has a wood plug ,see pic..where fender messed up, but the bass plays awesome and i still love it, even with the plug.

Anyone have any info on the gotoh bridge?

2. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Is that a manufacturing "birthmark" or an actual blem?

If the latter, MF is pretty good about returns, or possibly a partial discount/refund.

Could be worth a phone call, ask to speak to a supervisor/manager.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That looks too oddly shaped to be a plug. I wouldn't be able to identify it without seeing it with the tuner off.

4. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    If you have karma with the bass, keep it. Consider the blem a beauty mark. ;)

5. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

Congrats! you have chosen the best passive 34" scale 5'rs out there! Don't let the frown on my face fool you........I'm havin' a party inside, because of what I'm holding up in front of my face.

6. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    It looks like a circle,pretty good plug,if it was painted headstock i would not have seen it, but it's a 3 tone sunburst,musicians friend's last 3 tone until march 06,my rb5 has the quick release string tree also,i guess there putting them on the bass now.

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Welcome to the club! I've owned (and still own) some very pricey boutique basses, but I like the RB5 as much as any of 'em. :)

8. shnapper

shnapper

May 1, 2005
    Az
    I have the same bass with the same circle. It's partially covered by the "B" string tuner.

I've never considered it a problem, since it's identicle to yours it must be a factory thing. Must be a multi-use neck, same radius as the jazz V neck, but obviously not "C" shaped.

My only gripe is the way the G string sits on the egde of the neck. I'm considering having the nut replaced with a more symmetrical one so the G sits a tad farther from the edge. I have learned to be a bit more gentle, but it's still a slight bitch when doing fast pull offs. The G just loves to fall off the neck and twinge out, blah it bugs me sometimes. Usually I put it down and grab my marcus miller 4 to get slap happy. I need to have this nut changed I think, I hate to put the Beck down, but it annoys me sometimes.

:bassist:

9. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    Hey you have a pic of your bass, back of headstock with that plug?try moving the bridge adjustment,if you didn't already,you can move the string a bit.

10. 59jazz

I bought a case for my RBV yesterday at the local Ma & Pa store...I picked up a MIM fender Jazz 5 (wish my RBV was this lite!) and saw a small plug near the B tuner on the back of the headstock......perhaps a pilot hole for another neck Fender offers? :eyebrow:

11. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    you think fender is up to funny business?using mexican made stuff and calling it usa made?

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I just checked both of mine, and they both have it. Maybe it's something they drill to put the neck in a jig. Anyway, I never would have noticed if you hadn't brought it up. Now I hate these basses.

No, they're not for sale.

13. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    lol you are a funny mofo. :)

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You guys are making my Roscoe Beck GAS bigger.

Anyone try stringing these with a high C?

15. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida

Not yet but i will try it in the future,just for fun,i like a low B.

16. 59jazz

That's got to be it! Pilot hole for a neck jig....Is there a 7th hole in the neck heel, or did they use one of the 6 neck screw holes?

17. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    check this out,my old kubicki,which i sold to get my rb5,i cannot escape the PLUG<

Attached Files:

18. My RB5 has a similar circle at the B tuner as well, 1998-99 according to the serial.

19. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    pics of THE PLUG?

20. shnapper

shnapper

May 1, 2005
    Az
    I finally came back to check this post. I took a pic of my headstock for ya. It looks just like yours and most likely every other beck neck I imagine.

Let us know if you find out something in the conspiracy department, I love new stuff for free :hyper: