Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My New Roscoe SKB3006

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter Parker, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I recieved this bass a few days ago and wanted to get real familiar with it before I commented. This is an incredible 6 string. He built one for me nearly 10 years ago with very similar specs but this one betters it in every way. I've read and have experienced some Roscoe owners having trouble getting their action as low as they would want, the bridge not adjusting low enough to suit. I can lay the strings on the frets if I want to and the way he set it up it seems like that's exactly what he did only there's no buzz. Tonally, it sounds like a Roscoe. I'm very pleased with this bass.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Take 2 strings off, and I'd hit it.

But a very VERY good looking bass though.

Lucky bastahd. :bawl:

3. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Glad you got it. I remember the thread with that maple top. Just stunning!!!

4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Thanks. I wish I had the ability to take good pics. The top is so deep. One of the best pieces of maple I've seen.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That thing is sweet! Keith builds some beautiful basses.

6. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I got the chance to see that bass in Keith's shop before it shipped. That top is absolutely breath taking in person! It was in the final "set up area" and I couldn't take my eyes off it. The natural color is really superb. I kept telling Keith "I want mine to have the color and depth of THAT one when its done!"
    Congrats! She's fantastic!

7. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Thanks! I'm going to his shop at some point this week. I'm going to see if I can get a look at the tops you chose. I need to stop dropping by though. It gives me too many bad ideas.

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'm been waiting to see this one. Beautiful bass! How do you like the Katalox? What is the body wood again?

9. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Unbelieveable! Congrats on your new Roscoe. Regarding string action, bridge adjustability, and string balance: I've noticed no problems like this whatsoever with my new SKB 3006 either. It plays so effortlessly I haven't put it down until today when I played my P-Bass. The P-Bass neck now feels like a toy, and I'm thinking: 'Only four strings :D ?'

That flamed top is killer! I hope one day to tour Keith's shop. Congrats again, A.P.

10. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001

The katalox is great. Sort of like ebony but without the clacky high end. The body is mahogany. The tone is exceptional. When I solo the neck pup it sounds almost exactly like AJ on Michel Camilo's CD's. Too bad I don't play like him ;) With both pups it has real nice fat sound with good clarity and a sound not unlike a NT 6 string Smith I used to own.

11. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    P.P.,
    Congrats on the new Roscoe 3006! You're absolutely right....that is a great looking top, and a great color too. :D Roscoe 6-strings seem to be super hot right now. I just sold a couple, am getting a few more in, and now you have yours. TB will soon be overflowing with "check out my new Roscoe 3006 threads"!!! ;) It's always great to hear that Keith has added another happy customer to the long list of Roscoe users. Play on. :bassist:

12. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I'll email you pics of my top woods if you're interested.
    Hit me up and I'll send 'em. You won't be disappointed!

13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I was just listening to that Michel Camilo album.........Oh Damn!!!! If that's the sound you get than congrats. I wish I could have the oportunity to hear a Roscoe with a Mahogany body next to one with a swamp ash body. I'd really like to hear the difference. I'll have to try Katalox on my next bass.

14. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    SWEET! Very very nice. Keith has the nicest wood tops!

15. Specs? PLEASE
    Thanks
    Troy

16. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    to many nice roscoes going on cant take it any more! :p

17. Very sweet Peter. I love Keith's 6-strings. I haven't played EVERY 6-string, but always find the Roscoes great to play!

From one Roscoe player to another, welcome!

18. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Nice top. I like 6es with bitty bodies.