Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new Roscoe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bennet Pullen, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Bennet Pullen

Bennet Pullen

Aug 31, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Hey guys, I just got a new Roscoe SKB-3006 on saturday. I'm gonna get pics up soon. Anysay I had a question for you roscoe owners. When I got it the bridge sadles were already bottomed out but the action is a little higher than I like. Has anybody else had this problem? What did you do? I thought about shimming the neck but I'm wondering about material choice...

Also, what strings do you guys use on your roscoe sixes?

2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hey man, conratulations! What are the specs on your bass?

Yeah, I had the same problem with the bridge on my Roscoe. All you need is a business card. Shim it to the front of the neck pocket and bolt it back up. It'll give you all the extra room you need.

3. Bennet Pullen

Bennet Pullen

Aug 31, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Well it's a SKB-3006, Spanish Cedar Body, Maple/Purple Heart neck, Box Elder Burl top, with what looks to be the slightest bit of spalting, Rosewood fingerboard, black hardware. It has the 3 band Bartaloni preamp in it (but I may change it after reading the modify your roscoe thread). I am pretty happy with it but it needs some tweeking. I got it from bass northwest and I think they still have some pictures of it on their website.

4. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Congrats on the new bass! ;)

:bassist:

5. Awesome! Roscoes are a mighty fine lookin' bass. :bassist:

6. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Congrats! Roscoes are such great basses. I have a 3006 of my own and it's been impressing people (including me) since i got it.

i didn't have that prob with my Roscoe. the action wasn't SUPER low, but it wasn't what i'd call high. it was just right.

My roscoe has the same specs except its a BE Burl top(there's a pic of it on AccessBass.com as well as in a KSD thread on here). I use DR-Lo riders and i absolute LOVE them over the strings that Keith sent on it. They improved every aspect of the sound and have just the right tension for my style.

Once you get that bad boy set-up just right, you'll be in bass playin heaven!

7. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    You can do as emjazz suggest, or you can mill/grind down the saddles or you can purchase a std. Type A bridge from Hipshot. Keith's bridges are custom made for him by Hipshot and the bridge base has a staggered height (for each string) to follow the radius of the finger board. I've only heard a few players complain about this. It may be due to slight variations to the routing of the neck pocket or parallelism of the neck base (surface where the neck mounts to the body neck pocket).
    Personally I'd go with the shim. If done properly it won't affect the sustain of the bass and doesn't require altering the bass or bridge. If you're not comfortable doing it take it to a qualified local luthier. It would be considered a std. setup of the bass.
    Congratulations on purchasing IMO the best bass money can buy! :hyper:

8. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Welcome to the Roscoe family! Keith is such a nice guy that you've got to call it a family, not a club.

I've had my SKB-3006 for a little over 1 1/2 years and love it. I use D' Addario XL, but I've been thinking about DRs next time I buy strings. I haven't had a problem with the bridge height, but my A string bridge thingy needs to come back just a touch and it's as far back as it can go. Next time I have a minute, I'm going to shimsomething by the screw to bring it back about 1mm. It'll bring back the intonation perfectly.

I believe that Roscoes provide the most value for the botique dollar. IMHO any of the other more expensive botique basses are just that... more expensive. The Roscoes are right up there with Fodera, MTD, F Bass and Sadowsky as far as quality, but they can cost almost half of some of those basses.

9. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I used to get compliments on how my basses look. Now that I have the Roscoe I always get compliments on my sound. :D

10. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Congrats on your new Roscoe. IMO don't jump the gun so fast on it's Bartolini preamp, it takes a little time to get accustomed to it. I really like it's sound. I know some of the Rosoce players prefer the Demeter preamp, I personally wouldn't change a thing preamp-wise.

Just my 2 cents, congrats again on your new bass!

-Art

11. Hey guys,

Not to hijack the thread but does Keith offer a wide neck option or wider spacing on the SKB3006?

12. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Bernie,
    I just had a fellow TBer take possession of a custom Roscoe he ordered through me, and he went with a wide/fat neck option. The neck was a bit wider, the profile was a little thicker, and the string spacing was 19mm. You can see a few more photos of his bass (SKB 3006, Box Elder top, birdseye maple diamondwood fingerboard) in my "Sold Basses" gallery, but here's one for you to check out.... ;)

So...the answer is YES to both of your questions! :D

13. Whoa! That is one beauty of a bass. Thanks alot for the info, Jay!

Hmm...

14. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Thought you might dig that one. I was pretty impressed as well. :smug:

15. Who wouldn't be?!

I bet the mwah on that bass is just incredible.

16. Bennet Pullen

Bennet Pullen

Aug 31, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    well i stuck a buisness card in like you said and all I can say is:

OH MY GOD!!!! I can't believe how much better it is, and it was awsome before!!!!! Slapping sounds soooo much better with the lower action it's crazy. Jeez, and just from a buisness card too. All I can say is wow.... Now I Truly believe that my new bass is what I was hoping it would be.

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    all bolt on necks need shimming of some sort. just the nature of the beast.

but you're not the only one with a shimless roscoe. happened to my LG3005.

you'd think keith'd have someone in house bother to check if the neck needed shimming or not, especially on something soo elementary. after seeing another person have the same problem, seems rather sloppy IMHO for a so called "handmade" piece, no?

but glad you're happy. when they are done right, the Rossies are quite the players.

18. Hey Zen,
    "Another satisfied customer!" Congrats on the purchase. We'd love to see some pics if you can post them. :D

I really enjoy my Roscoe fretless 5. I may get another Roscoe -- VERY SOON! ;)

19. GrooveSlave

GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Maybe it's just me, but it seems like a piece of cardboard between the neck and body would affect tone... :meh:

20. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia

oh come on john! you GOTTA spill the beans about it! :hyper:
    What's gonna be different than the almighty beast you have now? Spanish Cedar body perhaps? :ninja: (I LOVE the tone you get out of that bad boy. I can't imagine how good it sounds live!)