Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new Russian "compilation" 5 str.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lay_a_groove, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Body - mahogany/bubinga
    Neck - maple/purpleheart
    PUs - Basslines MM ceramic + Bartolini 59J
    Passive (V+V+T, coil switch for MM pu)

2. What type o' neck construction be that?

3. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    very obviously inspired by the ken lawrence brase model, but it artistic originality isn't the most important factor in bass design. if it sounds great and you like how it plays...

congratulations!

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    In Soviet Russia, bass plays you!

5. set-in neck (till neck PU), also glued to upper horn

One handy guy made it for me, frankly it's not the cleanest work I've ever seen in general, but the bass plays & sounds very good, imo better than my previous axe Yamaha BBN5A, and it's passive. How much it was? I bought the PUs & hardware and gave 10 sets of Dingwall strings for the wood and work. So I think around $550.
    Sound clips are coming.

6. Sheldon D.

Sheldon D.

Oct 3, 2001
    Wow, that's the first time I've heard of our strings being used as currency. I hope you like the bass (it sure looks nice) and he likes the strings.

7. Dodobasso

Dodobasso

Feb 25, 2003
    Salerno, Italy
    Hi, can you send a couple of picture of the new baby? I'd like to see the rear of the instrument, and to have a link of the luthier.

Dodobasso

8. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    nice Family Man (Yakov Smirnoff) reference!

Seriously though, nice design. Even if it is like a KL Brase, I would totally buy it.

Do you plan to update the electronics at some point or keep it as a passive setup?

.... oh yeah Brendan: 'rusty spork'!

:D

9. Very nice! I´d like to know more about Russian luthiers, especially those in St. Petersburg area. Any links?

10. Don't we just love those Simpsons.... :rolleyes:

But back to topic, nice bass! Why is it a "Russian" compilation?

11. tiefling

tiefling

Aug 19, 2003
    Washington DC
    family guy...

12. I just played the bass through Epifani pre, JBL power & 2 Epifani 1x12, looks like it doesn't need any updates :smug:
    but maybe I'll try Bartolini MM PU & Bartolini onboard pre sometime.
    Got it.
    'cause it's the compilation of KL Brase (construction), F-bass (back of the body), Fodera (lower horn) & the head design is something between Smith & Thompson :)

13. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    looks like an aries :D, it is nice

in the slap samples how you do that fast groove that sounds like double thumping???

14. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Sounds like a great rig to play thru.... Any pix of the epifani pre you use?

Nice rendition of each represented in your bass.

Thank you.

15. I would make the body from the same color wood as the AK-47. I wouldn't shape it like an AK, just that same cherry wood color with gun metal or black heardware, shell casings for the knobs and soviet styling cues. I would shape it very minimalist form follows function.

16. Unfortunately no, actually it's not mine, I use Raven Labs PMB-1 or any rented stuff & Pandora box for home recording.

it is double thumping... I guess :)