1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My New Sadowsky and a Case Qusetion

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jambassist, Sep 29, 2008.

1. jambassist

jambassist

Sep 1, 2002
    Easton, PA
    I received my NYC Vintage 4 last Thursday so it's time to show it off. Basic specs are swamp ash body, spalted maple top, Brazilian rosewood board. Plays great and balances quite nicely. The neck is very fast and minor preamp changes go a long way. I probably shouldn't have spent that kind of money, but now that I've seen it and worked with it, I'm glad I did. It's really a grand bass and I can see why those that have them love them.

The question is this. The bass came with an Access hard case which is a very classy and classic case. However, I've been thinking of sending it back for a refund (ok with Kevin) and getting one of the new style SKB cases (like the ones that ship with the new Fenders) instead. I'm looking for the maximum amount of protection I can get without going to a custom built case. Seems to me that the SKB case will weather normal use and offer better protection than the Access. Your thoughts are welcome on this matter.

2. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Can't help you on the case recommendation, but congrats on a beautiful bass!

3. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    heads up!!!! Your bass may, I say MAY not fit in an SKB case.

The SKB cases were fit to VERY exact tolerances in concert with Fender, CNC made instruments. If the dimensions on your Sad differ just a tad, you'll be out of luck.

4. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Beautiful bass.....but take that pickguard OFF!!

Show off that beautiful spalted maple which I am sure you paid extra for!

5. tomshepp

tomshepp Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    Hey,
    I bought a Sadowsky porta bag and think it's an excellent case. Not sure if this case is what your bass came with, but I bought this one to replace a Sad/mouradian gig bag. This porta bag offers much more protection than the gig bag and may be better than a hard case for certain things. I'll say this: I'm not afraid to put this case in the truck when I ride to the gig in the truck. Nice bass you've got there too!

6. Lowfader

Lowfader

Jul 11, 2004
    U.S.A.
    Who builds the Access cases? I Googled it but nothing shows up.

7. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    With all due apologies to the Wizard of Oz, "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!" ;) Sunburst/rosewood with a tort p/g is about as classic as it gets. Even WITH that beautiful spalted top, I'd keep the p/g on it.

8. Congratulations on an awesome bass! I've had great success with the sadowsky cases and seem to be durable for most situations. Only time I've used something different is and ATA case for air travel... not willing to take a chance with those airline yahoos.

9. jambassist

jambassist

Sep 1, 2002
    Easton, PA
    it's www.accessbagsandcases.com. They're made in Washington State. After thinking about it, I've decided to keep it. The more I look at it, the more I like it. It's a good solid case and with a little care on my end, will be fine.

Classic Jazz, I have no intention of removing the pickguard as I like the way it looks with it on. Besides, you really think all those empty screw holes would look good?

10. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    I get ignored here more than I do by my wife. :(

11. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    I LOVE the spalt! Beautiful bass :hyper:

12. E-Mac

E-Mac Guest

Aug 30, 2008
    i have been lusting after that bass on the sadowsky site for some time. congrats on it

13. E-Mac

E-Mac Guest

Aug 30, 2008
    ouch

14. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    What exactly are you looking to protect your bass from? Your bass will get dings and scratches when you take it out of the case to play - there is no getting around that.

Most hard or semi hard cases will protect the bass from serious damage while you are transporting from gig to gig. Personally I only use gig bags now. I plan on ordering a new Sadowsky and will go with the portabag.

Your bass is gorgeous - enjoy it and don't worry about it. I know it was expensive but you ordered a Sadowsky!!! And if you take the guard off that bass it will kill the look!

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Me too. :)

16. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1

Love the bass, and the p/g is cool.
    I'm curious why you didn't get alder, as it is so often paired with
    brazilian rosewood?

BTW, I'm sure swamp ash and brazilian RW sound
    great! Congrats!!! Play the heck out of it!!! :bassist:

17. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I have an SKB bass case, and it weathers terribly. It got rained on and instantly rusted. My cousins as the same way. :scowl:

18. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    ;)

19. Another vote for the porta bag. I got it instead of the ulra lite case and I'm very happy with it. It is a really sturdy case and is well padded.

20. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    Good point, and wouldn't the Vintage Jazz body be a little smaller?

Are you throwing your bass in a truck with a bunch of gear all the time? Or are you just really concerned about it getting knocked around in a lesser case? It seems to me that short of an SVT cab falling over on it, the Portabag is pretty skookum - I wouldn't be concerned about leaning it up against a wall and having it fall over, for example.
    Maybe a GOOD quality gigbag and an SKB Bass Safe would work for you for traveling?

That's a great looking bass, BTW. I'm not a fancy top guy at all, but with the burst and PICKGUARD ;) I think yours looks killer.