My new Sadowsky!!!! Ha!!! Finally!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thewanderer24, Feb 18, 2005.

1. thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    OK, I apologize in advance for this looooong babbling post, but I am excited, and unfortunately, stuck at the day job, so I can't play it right now!!!! :bawl:

I ordered an Alder (with AAA Quilt top)/Morado P/J4 from Roger and the gang way back in mid-June. Finally, a day or two past 8 months, it arrived on Wednesday.

First impressions upon opening the box and case:
    Wow!!! This thing is stunningly beautiful, without being overstated or too gaudy. I decided on the natural finish after changing my mind a couple times, because I really wanted the natural beauty of the wood to be the main thing visually. Man did they get it. I was obviously expecting a really nice maple top, but the fingerboard, to me is the most impressive looking piece of wood on the bass.

I was a little suprised at how thick the fingerboard wood is, and how meaty the headstock is, but they definitely work and look good.

Every detail of the wood joints, finishing, and fretwork, look impeccably clean to my eyes.

The hardware is all top notch, and I LOVE the really heavy duty tuners.

So, now to the important stuff!!
    Pick it up, out of the case, and start messing around unplugged. Clankity, buzz, clank!!!! Uh oh!! :eek:

Upon closer inspection, the neck had settled back a little bit from the time it left the shop to the time it got to my house.
    Even at this point, though, I have to say the thing feels so nice in my hands. Love the feel of the neck, and the body molds nicely to my torso. The word "Mojo" has already crept into my mind just from a couple minutes of clankity buzz.

Now instead of playing, I need to work on the setup a little. The spoke wheel truss rod was super easy to get to, and turn (this is a great idea, that I would love to have on any new bass I ever get). String height adjustments are a breeze with the bridge.

I have been playing the same bass almost exclusively for the last 10 years (and am consequently very used to the way I have it setup), so I will be tweaking a little back and forth for a few days still, probably, to get the setup perfect, but with a few minutes of tweaks, I had the thing plenty comfortable.

This bass feels so nice in my hands, I don't know how to describe. Definitely a player, and it's only gonna get better as I get used to it.

Very consistent from the bottom of the E to to the top of the G string. The one thing that jumped out at me is that the lowest notes are just as clear and defined as the rest. Even dropping the tuning to a low D, that open low D sounds as clean and defined as any other note on the neck. Also, even with the dropped tuning, the feel was still tight - not floppy at all.

The preamp is incredible. Great sound with everything set flat. Good P tone from the neck pickup, and lots of versatility, just by adjusting the pickup blend. My main tweak for different sounds is from the pickup blend and the passive tone control. For the more old school sound, I roll the passive tone all the way back, and for the more cutting modernish sound, I leave it where it is. The bass boost is frighteningly powerful. A little goes a long way. Cranked all the way, you might hurt someone (or your speakers)!!! I usually won't add much treble, so haven't played much with the treble boost, although the little I did play definitely sounded musical.

The tonal possibilities are all over the map with this bass. Playing with one of my bands last night, I was spending lots of time (too much) tweaking knobs. I need to better define where to set stuff for different songs/styles, so at gigs, I am not thinking about it.

Had a couple friends come over for a song writing workshop the first night, so I got to play around a lot in an acoustic setting with a small amp. Sounded great, blended great with everything.

Brought it to a rehearsal with one band last night, and it sounded GREAT in the mix (the standard line I've heard from other Sadowsky reviews). The Drummer kept saying how much more ballsy I sounded, and was really liking the new tone.

Unfortunately, I don't have any gigs this weekend, for a change, so I will have to wait til next weekend for the gig trial. Overall, though, I am very happy so far.

Anyway, I am losing myself in all my babble, but more importantly, it's almost lunchtime, so I will go kill an hour with my new toy and my PHA-1. heeehee. I am like a giddy little kid right now.

Final thought: The comment I've heard so much, "Fender on Steroids," seems like a great (albeit understated) description of this bad boy.
  2. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    let's see some pics!
    congrats, use it well!
  3. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Welcome to the "SadowskyAddicted" club! Enjoy your sonic monster!! ;)
  4. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Nice review! Congrats on getting such a fine bass. I have it bad for one myself. That day will come... :)
  5. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Congratulations for sure. The best thing about owning a Sadowsky? That "Oh Wow" feeling that you have now?.....It never goes away. I know I've put at least 500 gigs on my PJ5 and there are still times when I get so wrapped up in the tone of the damn thing that I forget to go to the bridge.

Bring on the Pic's!

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrads, we need pics.
  7. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    where's that confounded bridge?

8. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    down where the strings are anchored on the body, you fool! ;)
  9. thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    Ha, just played for an hour and a half at lunch time (looking both ways for my boss), and really didn't wanna stop when I did. I'll see if I can take some pics with my roommate's camera when I get home. I hope you are right that that OH WOW, feeling never goes away. I am tingly still just from practicing by myself.

Major Metal, I'm tempted to steal your old tagline "My Sadowsky Makes me Smile on the Inside!!!"

The fatness of tone out of the P pickup on this thing is just unreal.
  10. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Congrats, No one does "the sound" thing better then Roger and his workmanship isn't bad either! SHOW PICS
  11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Must. Show. Pictures. :eyebrow:

Congrats anyway! I'm sure you already know to be careful making trussrod adjustments, but just in case: be careful making trussrod adjustments. :p

Been waiting 7.6 months on my P5... hope I get it soon! But the P5 is a brand new model so the wait might not be the same. It'll be done when it's done... Anyway, I'm glad your wait is over and you're enjoying your beauty!
  12. thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    Hey fuzz, was wondering when you were gonna pipe in, as I remembered talking to you about this a little before. Mine was almost 8 months to the day, so hopefully your wait isn't much longer!! Good luck! it's definitely worth the wait.

As for the trussrod, I've done it before many times on my other bass, as the neck would need seasonal changes. It's maybe a 1/4 turn at the most in a day, let it sit and NEVER force it. It is super easy to make the adjustments on the Sad, much easier than on my other.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

"Sadowsky Basses make me Giggle on the inside" - Major Metal
  14. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    pics man pics!!!! You're not going to put it down. Enjoy!!!!
  15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Still waiting on pitcures.

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Without pictures, it doesn't exist. I don't congratulate you at this time. What number is it? Maybe it's on the site.
  17. Pictures please!!!

18. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
  19. Big congrats to ya! Lovin my PJ4 Chambered Alder and stunningly beeeeeautiful Morado board. Mine is Inca Sliver with chrome hardware (very Rolls Royce lookin') and the redish Morado really suits it nicely. I get comps all the time, on how 'classy' it looks AND how great it sounds. Popped some Sadowsky Flats on a while back and haven't looked back since. Mine took a long time to reach me too cause the guys got some heavy alder in that they kept rejecting, which I'm happy they did, cause mine sounds great. I'm on my third Sad now. Tried out an MV4 ... and now it's got a happy new home (Right Aaron). My lastest addition is a sweet NYC Vintage 4 that I got used, but I have to get it tweaked and have some TLC done on it. I should be playing it again in a week or two.