Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new Sadowsky UV 4 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bikeplate, Oct 11, 2005.

1. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Well, a week ago monday I took a drive to visit the guys at the shop in Brooklyn for a little repair work on two of my Sadowsky's. When I arrived, I spied a black 4 string with the '70's style neck and pickup placement. Instantly loved the look. Played it for a bit but the action wasnt suited for me. Ended up playing one of the greatest 5 strings I'd ever touched and also fell in love with a preowned pink pj4 that had a neck to die for. When Roger had a moment, I asked him to lower the action on the uv4. He did and I tried it again. OMG!! WOW! My guitartist buddy, who came for the ride, also loved it now. After some deep thought and deliberation(about 3 minutes, LOL), I said "let's do it" This makes Sadowsky #4 and my 13th overall. I'm kinda addicted. Walking into the shop is like being hooked on crack. Its crazy!! LOL

Did three gigs last weekend with it. The tone is different from my other 3. A bit more agressive sounding, especially when I used a pick. Really loved the slap tone. Reminded me of old funk records from when I was a kid. Overall, just beautiful. The neck is remarkable. I feel the metro profiles are a bit thinner than NYC's. I'm on my third and they all seem to be. Fretwork perfect, fit and finish, etc.

Guys and gals, dont hesitate. Awesome. While there, I switched the pickguard to black and added a hipshot d-tuner.
    Best of all, it's 8.8lbs. A bit heavier than I'm used to but Roger turned me on to one of his new straps which are just great. Hardly noticed the extra weight at the gigs.

As always thanx to Roger, Anthony(Nino), Trever, Dave, and Mike.

Below are some pics. Hope u enjoy

Rob

2. ganga

ganga

Jul 14, 2005
    Looks great Rob, congrats! :)

I'm still preparing to get my first, all I need is the money. :p Where do you get them from?

3. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Very, very nice. I would be in deep trouble living that close to Brooklyn.

4. slagbass

slagbass

Apr 5, 2005
    Canada
    Thanks for the review! If it sounds even half as good as it looks - it's a winner. :bassist:

5. That is a sweet bass. Damn! Great score, once again.

6. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    nice!!! i love me uv70 more and more everyday.....

7. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

I put a big gouge in the back of my NYC 4 and ripped the input jack out of my blue metro. Ripped the wood around the jack. Felt horrible about it. They assured me they could fix it and I'd hardly notice. I hope so. I might put her for sale and I'd hate to have it looking the way it does

Rob

8. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Great looking bass, congrats!

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Rob

Your a WILD MAN what happend? All the best with it! As you know you have an excellent instrument. In your words " Play the Heck out of It" ;) :bassist:

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  11. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Hey Major. My band is a rock cover band that plays all over the Northeast, about 170 shows a year. Sometimes its gets a bit crazy and I find myself throwing my bass in the air or dropping it on the stage, all in the name of rock and roll of course! LOL! I guess it landed on the jack. Oops. I was using a wireless that night. I didnt notice until 3 days later when I was changing strings and cleaning her. What an idiot I am but sometimes I get caught up in the moment. LOL

Rob

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Bang your Head not your Bass ! :p :bassist:

13. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    Rob,

That bass looks great with the black pickguard.
    Congrats on another great Sadowsky.

I PM'd you.

Rob

14. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    DID YOU SAY YOU THROW YOUR SADOWSKY?!?!?!? :eek:

:D Thats funny!

I paranoid about getting out on my gigs in bars with no protection from wild drunken suits partying on. Now i know that you gotta play the bass and Sadowskys are players basses :) but i'm still paranoid...

15. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Yep. You only live once and I try to live it up.

Rob

16. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thats it,

i'm gonna make sure i get my first proper ding tonight! :D

Rock on!

17. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    btw,

the all black look is very classy!

18. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi

Thanx dude. I appreciate it. I love it. Dont ding it up too much

Rob

19. BP...Nice Score there man...I know she's a keeper if you took the plunge...I just picked up another one last week myself, a Trans white/Tortise MV 5 - and only 8.4 lbs like my NYC!!! Congratulations and Rock on!!

Peace,

T

20. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Too cool, T. If you ever want to move her, give me first crack. Thanx

Rob