My new Schecter Custom-5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Logans Dad, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Logans Dad

Logans Dad

Dec 9, 2002
    I have been wanting a new 5 string bass for quite a while and I finally decided on the Schecter Custom 5. Today was the 2nd Sunday that I've played it at our Sunday morning church service.

Overall I've been very happy with it. The first time I started playing it, it was buzzing all over the neck. I then checked and noticed that the neck was absolutely flat. I loosened the truss rod a little and the buzzing all went away. I now want to lower the strings just a bit, but haven't had time to work on that yet.

As far as sound, the only negative thing I have noticed is that the "C" on the "A" string seems a little "dead". It's not bad (by my standards), but for some reason, that one note does not seem to ring out and sustain quite as well as the others. Would that more likely be the bass itself, or the strings? Its not really bad, and I just started noticing that yesterday.

So anyway, I'm very happy with this bass for the price paid ($500). It has been fun playing with different tone settings on both the bass and my amp (Crate BX100) to see what different kinds of sounds it will produce. When I play contemporary praise music at church, I stick with just the neck pickup and a little bass boost and get a nice clean powerful tone that sounds good with the other instruments.

Here are a few pics.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm mostly a "lurker" here, but I also want to say thanks to all of you that are willing to help us noobs with all the advice and instruction that you provide.

2. gambit0714

May 19, 2004
    Suffolk, VA
    Let me be the first to say " SWEEEEEET". :hyper:

Enjoy it!!! It'll make beautiful music for you.

Stay low

Gambit :cool:
  3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    And how have I never looked at those?! That is an attractive bass. Might need to check into those for a 5 to string high.
  4. Looks good. What is the string spacing like?
  5. Logans Dad

Logans Dad

Dec 9, 2002
    Thanks guys . . .

I don't know the "official" spacing and I don't have a metric ruler here at home. Measuring between the inside edges of the strings (not center-center) is right at 1/4" at the nut.

Also, I wanted to add that the bass did not come with a manual. Reading the FAQ's on the schecter site said that the manuals are all online. I couldn't find any online manuals. I called and the phone was answered fast. The guy I talked to said that they don't have the manuals online yet but are working on that. He was pretty cool and answered a few questions I had and seemed helpful.
  6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Congrats on the new fiver! It's definately a looker.

I think they really do make some nice instruments for the money. I know I really like my Stiletto Elite 4. My only gripe with it is the weight but I guess that is the trade off for the tone it delivers. :)
  7. She sure is a looker! I bet that fits right in at Church :D all dressed up and whatnot.

8. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    That is a saweet looking bass. Good score. I've always had a soft spot for the looks of those Schecters. Never played one though.
  9. QU!CK

Apr 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks for the review, I've been looking for some info on the Custom 5 :hyper:

10. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    That's a pretty sharp looking bass. I especially like the top. Is it Korean?
  11. Eh... Enjoy.

And those are Korean instruments.

Ibanez's top of the line SR1000/BTB1005 are made in Korea as well. Just some food for thought.
  12. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Is there much slapping room on that bass?
  13. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    sweet looking bass :)
  14. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    I've been eyeing them for a long time....they play great. I hope to have mine within the next 2 weeks
  15. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    God, I love Schecter. While a lot of their stuff doesn't much appeal to me visually (with the exception of the Ultra...mmmm), the playability and tone for the price is awesome.
  16. Logans Dad

Logans Dad

Dec 9, 2002
    dgce: I am a poor judge of "slap ability" . . . I'm still just happy to find the right notes at the right time. :p

I did get some time and was able to lower the strings quite a bit. Wow, that is making a huge difference in how easy it plays. :hyper:
  17. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Reviving this old thread just to add some info. The string spacing on the Stilleto series is fairly narrow like a Fender 5er. So probably not great for slapping. You might want to check out the Lakland Skyline series for that. Similar quality and price. Both Lakland Skylines and the Schecter Stilleto's are made in korea then set up at their US factories. btw I chose the schecter over the Lakland for the narrower string spacing. I also prefer the tone of the Schecter for fingerstyle playing. My 2 cents worth as always YMMV.