Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my new schroeder experience

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mactac, Feb 22, 2006.

1. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    ok, so I bought a schoeder 4x10 sight unseen based on the many, many reviews. I got it a couple of days ago & wanted to share my experience.

I should start off by saying that I've had many cabs over time, and currently have (not including the schoeder) a hartke 4x10, and eden 410xly, and an swr goliath 3 jr.

I have a mesa boogie 400+ amp.

I've been searching for a new cab because i've been having distortion problems after my amp gets past a certain volume. I suspected that it was the amp for a while (bad tube?), but I got another 400+ and i had the same problem. I decided it was the speakers farting out & decided to try a new cab. enter the schroeder.

When I got it, I was quite impressed by the build quality & it was a bit smaller than my eden 410. for me, smaller is better!

I plugged in my eden to get a reference, then plugged in the schroeder. BY the accounts I've read on TB, I expected the schoeder to be much louder at any given volume. Not so. In fact, in some ways the eden seemed a bit louder. ok, fine...i'll keep playing around.

My initial impression was that the schroeder lacked a bit in thick lows... ok, played some more.... after a while I started to change my opinion & the I thought the eden had muddy, indefinite lows, probably because of the porting. OK, starting to like the schroeder more. I'm still surprised that it seems to be no louder.... Now this was all taking place in my house, so I took it to my band practice...

I bring the cab, and start playing along with a few songs.

WOW.

All of a sudden, I hear *exactly* the tone i've been looking for. Not boomy, but authoritative. Punchy as hell. All of a sudden my warwick highs that seemed so brittle and annoying start to sounds good.

The guitar player complains that his guitar dissapeared. I guess this cab cuts through :)

Anyways, I'm so very impressed with the sounds of this cab. It is not a "sound good in the bedroom" sort of thing, but crank it up at a band practice with drums & guitar & it sounds great.

My bandmates all commented on how clear it sounded, how the mud (eden) was gone & how they just enjoyed "feeling" the tone of my bass.

I love this thing so far....! I'm not sure about the volume, because i didn't really get a chance to crank it all the way up. I was a bit surprised that it wasn't any louder than my eden, but perhaps it's *maximum* volume will be much louder. I'll know more when We jam at our other jam spot (with no neighbors)

2. Very cool! Enjoy. The Schroeders are cabs that you need to put into a mix to really appreciate. I too was a little underwhelmed with my 1210 just sitting at home... but then when I opened it up on a gig... it was the typical 'wow' that most of us get from those cabs.

3. EXACTLY!!! That is the Schroeder experience! In a dead quiet bedroom, I liked my Epifani 2x10 better....BUT where it COUNTS...on the stage with a band....ESPECIALLY outdoors...the Schroeder totally dominates!! It's brawny, articulate, good low mids which sit in the mix really well.

Plus, my 1210 is actually smaller and is rated at around twice the wattage as the Epifani I used to have. It's a no-brainer.

4. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
    Yes, I can vouch for this experience as well. It isn't simply a matter of the Schroeder being louder - it has more to do with the quality of the sound you're getting. I replaced a HUGE rig (two 410's and two 212's, 4600 watts) with one Schroeder 310212 being pushed by a 300 watt tube amp. Is the Schroeder rig louder? I don't know, but honestly, I sound SO much better in the mix that volume almost doesn't matter. Don't get me wrong, this amp/cab combo is very loud, but it just sounds so much better than my old rig and cuts through in a way the old rig never could. It's quite impressive.

[​IMG]

5. You make a good point Toad. I am probably driving my SWR head LESS with the Scroeder than with my Epifani...but I have MORE presence in the band mix.

Cool deal, Jorg!:cool:

6. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Yep, another for the Schroeder Experience
    it wasnt till i gigged that i was happy i had made the right choice. As im in the UK it would of been very difficult to try on out with my ABM so i read the megathread and ordered a 1210 based on jorgs recomendation and when it arrived i plugged it in and thought "hmm, nice. not sure its what i expected though" but at the gig i was more than happy. still only played at low volume (about half on the ABM300 master) but it cut through very nicely. its the first time ive heard my Jazz sound likea Jazz.
    One of my main reasons for getting the 1210 is i wanted to be louder than with my 1x15 and although the 1210 is its also got loads of punch and i think that makes it sound louder as well.

can i just ask when you guys say "open her up" or "crank her up" is it the effect of truning up the amp making it sound better or the way the cab reacts to more input volume? i hope that question makes sense.

7. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Ok, my 1210 arrived today :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
    I totally hear you. At first I was like "hmm ok, this one sure has a voicing of its own". I've only fooled around with it for half an hour or so but I'm already getting used to the sound and starting to really like it.
    Bad thing is I won't be gigging for a while so the onstage test has to wait.
    +1 to Jorg being a great guy to deal with and that his cabs seem to be of very high build quality.
    BTW, about fedex: mine came from usa to greece in fine condition. Oh and the big bubbles wrap is totally addictive :bag:

8. Dragon,
    If possible, arrange a jam session or go to an open mic jam somewhere. You will earn a new respect from everyone in the room.