Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my new score / recommended software

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Jan 28, 2003.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    well...the hardware portion of my studio is almost complete

computer is built and running incredibly stable, even overclocked a smidge with no adverse effects ;) (xp 1700+ @ 1.8 ghz)
    just bought an M-Audio omni studio off ebay
    should be getting a pair of M-Audio SP-5b's from mf (for $199, i can't see anything better), an oxygen8, and probably a rode nt-1 in the near future as well
    plus, my buddy is getting a motu 896 that i'll be able to use for doing drums/live recording

needless to say, i'm pumped :D

but the time has come to decide what kind of audio program to use. i've been a vegas user for my whole computer recording career, and have vegas 3 currently, but after trying acid 4 and vegas 4 beta i'd have to say i'm a little disappointed. the one thing that i want to be able to use is softsynths and vst effects like amplitube, and you can't do that in vegas. in acid you can use softsynths, but the midi support is pretty weak IMO, and i hate how acid works. yet they didn't put any of the soft synth stuff in vegas (maybe it's pending for the full release??? i hope). i suppose i COULD bounce between acid, fruity loops, and vegas - but that's a PITA. i want ONE program that handles everything.

so, using a pc, what are my options for recording software. i have a bunch of vst plugins i use in fruity loops, and i'd like to have access to all of that but have the nice multitrack recording and editing like vegas has. i'm thinking cubase or protools...i guess?

i dunno, tell me what you use and how much you like it. :)

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I'm a huge fan of Steinberg software, Nuendo, Cubase SX, and wavelab. If you want a product that can easily do it all, I'd say look at Cubase SX first.

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    does anyone have any experience with the newer cakewalk programs like sonar? i used to have pro audio 7 but i just used it for midi composing.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I have Sonar 2.0XL, and for the price, it's amazing. I prefer the format and flexibility of Nuendo or Cubase though. Sonar would do everything your talking about as well.

5. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    I've just built myself a new computer around a athlon 2100xp (took a bit of a risk not getting intel) but its paid off as its working brilliantly. Im using Sonar 2 which is great- its very stable and has a goods interface (which cubase SX has just ripped off!!!) Cubase is really good also and my flatmate uses it but I've been using cakewalk products for ages and its what i'm used to. One thing that is Sonar does well is allow you to use live plugin effects with really low latency- that and the fact that the Timeworks EQ is one of the nicest sounding ones ive heard and works great for bass....

6. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Yes I have Sonar 2.1, 2.2 in a week. I really like it it took a little while to learn it but I think I have the hang of it. I got the Oxygen as well..that is a really awesome controller. I was wondering where did you get the M-Audio SP-5b's for $199 from. I am in desperate need of a pair of decent monitors and that is a great price.

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

musicians friend has 'em!

8. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Awesome..I might have to nab a pair.

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    If you want to use your VST fx, go Cubase SX.

Steinberg keeps getting a lot of flak from the Emagic Logic camp, but Cubase SX and Nuendo ROCK, and nowadays Emagic steals ideas from them.